Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, February 20, 2003


"Aspiration, or Dedication?"


There's one thing that really annoys me about the acting world..... the 'aspiring actors' and 'actresses'.

There are two kinds of actors, those that have the talent, the drive, and the motivation to seek out and follow their dreams, and do so with moral standards..... and then there are those that claim to be of this profession, when all they seek is attention, and, most often, of a suggestive nature.

So, who would you say is the actor?..... Girl #1 who has a passion and a love for the theatre, and is making strides to pursue that, or Girl #2 who has a webcam, loves to 'meet new people', and wants to be an 'aspiring actor'? Who do you think is going to make it farther as a professional actor?

My money is on Girl #1. Girl #2 will probably just continue to say she is an actor for years, and hardly see any fruits of it.

See, last night, just for the heck of it, I hopped onto Yahoo (chat) and decided to seek out some intelligent conversation with others. I just felt in the conversational mood. I ended up finding some very engaging discussions, and came across some very interesting people. However, I also came across dozens and dozens of individuals just like Girl #2. I did not engage any of them in conversation, but just scanning their profiles in the rooms, I deduced one thing..... There will be a LOT of severely disspointed people out there who will never get beyond the stage of being an 'aspiring actor or actress". Their internet presence may be a popular 'personality', but it will always be under the gaze of very unsavory individuals. Attractive, does not necessarily mean talented.

Girl #1 (who for the sake of respect I shall hearby refer to by her real name -- Lana Joy) is smart. She's following her dreams, actually has talent, and knows when and where to employ it. I respect her for that, and wish her much success in this challenging field that professional acting is. Her heart is in the right place.

Unfortunately, actors and aspiring actors, like Lana, are the minority out there. Most of those who say they are 'aspiring actors' are nothing more than attention-getters who will sadly fizzle out of attention when the fad grows old. Their careers are pretty much in a rut from the get-go. They really have very little future as a successful actor or actress.

So, why do I write about 'aspiring actors'? ....Well, to prove a point. Don't be fooled when someone tells you they are an actor, or just aspire to be one, and don't allow looks to guide your opinion. Some of the more attractive people may horrendous actors.... and some of the less attractive people end up being the most brilliant acting talents. Look further into what they say and ask yourself, "Do they have passion.... drive, motivations, talent.... and are they destined to follow up on all that.... or are they likely to just sit back and garner unsavory attention?" .... Are they serious about joining the ranks of the insane whose passion and dedication seems limitless.... or are they just one of those millions of 'aspiree's' out there who probably don't even have the slightest clue how to be successful at this art.

Some of you may say of me, "So, Jon, when's YOUR next big gig." .... My answer: "Soon.... very soon." Right now I may have to put my passion for acting temporarily on the back burner (as I seek to wrap up other more pressing matters in life first), but the truth is, as soon as I am able, I aim to fall right back into that same category as Girl #1. Call it a sabatical -- a time to recharge my batteries. Afterall, I am of the opinion that a successful career in acting does not need to be rushed.... It needs to be methodically pursued. And anyone willing to dedicate themselves to THAT will slowly find success in this business.

Don't be fooled by the millions. Admire the few.

Until next time,

Your ever-musing friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)