Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, February 23, 2003


"Hope."


This evening, Saturday evening, I went to see my sister's play at my old college. As a senior this year, she is currently directing a production of "The Diary of Anne Frank."

I may comment about the play itself later, but this evening, I wanted to share with you the director's note which she included in the program. I thought it was worth musing upon for a number of reasons....
__________________

"The past couple of years in America, and in this world, we have seen events that no one wishes to see. World's crumble and disaster strikes; nations are attacked and innocent people are killed. In an instant, anger and hatred can change a life, and in turn, the world. But amidst all this pain and loss, something stands stronger than anything else, and that is hope. No one can tell you not to hope. They can take everything you own. They can destroy the things most important to you, but no one can take away your hope....

This is a story that needs to be told. It's about the part in every one of us that cries out to be heard, desperately clinging to hope as things change. It speaks to the heart that has felt pain or loss, and serves as inspiration to all who are suffering or hurting. It lets them know that they are not alone and reminds them to hold onto hope, knowing that someone bigger and stronger is in control."
__________________

After I read that director's statement, it kind of got me to thinking. This is definitely a play for our times.... my times.

As political talk in the United States focuses on an armed conflict that some are for and some are against, we all cling to the hope that drastic and deadly measures do not have to become commonplace. Those of us opposing a war, cling to the hope that our leaders do not take our country into that frey for the wrong reasons. Those of us in support of an armed conflict cling to the hope that it will be a successful one, and it will bring an end to the injustices that have been allowed to linger. We wonder how the course of events happening, and yet to happen, will play out in God's Great Plan. We hope, and cling to the trust that whatever is yet to befall the word, it will ultimately be for the best. In the end, we all, like Anne Frank, hope for better things.

But, personally, I don't like to be all that political of a person. I know where I stand, and beyond that... I struggle to trust what I do not know. I struggle, like Anne, to ask questions I couldn't possibily answer. And, why do I do this?.... because I'm human, and hope is all I know.

But, my sister's statement kind of rang true in my own personal life as well. My frustration over my struggles to find a good job seem to mount as the days go by.... and I hope and trust, praying that I have the patience and strength to continue to pursue what thus far appears to be a losing battle. Part of me knows that job... that career... is out there. It just grows tired of the long and drawn-out journey.

Then there's the ramifications of finding that job. How long can I last in my current situation? How long can I stretch things out before they snap and I find myself at the end of the rope? How long will it be before I can breathe more easily again? How long must I yet wait? .... Pray for a heart that knows trust, right?

Then, part of me is at the point where I don't want to take this journey alone. Part of me looks to share those struggles, and joys, with the woman out there wondering this very same thing. Somewhere out there, that woman and I will meet.... But how long must the wait be? .... Pray for patience, right?

Where will life lead? How long must the various journeys take? When will I find answers? How long must I hope and dream? How strong must my patience and perseverence be?

Hope.... It's such a small word -- one syllable; four letters. But it's a very deceptive word, for in that short little word is packed more questions than could ever be asked... And in that one little word, are more ideas and thoughts to muse on than could ever be imagined. And why does that word exist?.... Because we all, each and every one of us, are human. Hope is all we know.

Until next time, ponder that little word in your life. Don't lose sight of it. That's our only real weapon in life; Wield it well.

Your persevering and ever-hopeful friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)