Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, September 18, 2008


"A New Bridge Opens"

Over a year ago -- on Wednesday, August 1, 2007 -- a key bridge in Minneapolis collapsed over the Mississippi River. Thirteen people were killed, and 145 injured. If my father hadn't stopped to grab a quick hamburger at a fast-food drive-thru (on his way home from a meeting), he could very well have been one of those victims.

Here's what he had to say about the experience:
"A little over a year ago, shortly after 6 PM on August 1, 2007, I was on Interstate-35W in Minneapolis, my car climbing the backside of the Mississippi River bluff that led to the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi.

Suddenly, traffic ahead of me stopped. A dust cloud rose from the river side of the bluff. Traffic stood motionless for several minutes. Finally, a man appeared over the top of the bluff....

"Turn around!" he yelled. "Go back! The bridge is gone!"

That was the first I knew of the tragic I-35W bridge collapse. Thirteen people who were a half-mile ahead of me died in that collapse. Dozens more were injured."
It's been a year now, and a new bridge has been built in it's place. Today, it opened -- well ahead of schedule. I'm grateful that my father dad delayed his drive home that day, but also saddened at the loss of those who did not. Accidents happen, it's a sad fact of life. Hopefully, however, with the lessons learned, this new bridge can help prevent something like this from happening again.

"New I-35W bridge spans river, technological divide"

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)