Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Friday, August 30, 2002


"Introductions"


Greetings and welcome to my weblog, which replaces a six month run of my journal on Opendiary.com. I have decided to phase out my diary there and move the entire writing endeavor to my own site, here on JonBaas.com.

Now, for those of you new to this journal, unfortuantely you haven't have been able to follow along with the happenings in my own life these past six months. I'll be honest, a lot has happened. I'll assume you have already looked through this nifty little site of mine and you already know that I am a hopeful professional actor. ... Well, that's my career goal anyway.... It's a slow, but exciting journey, and that's why this weblog exists -- to allow others to follow along in that journey. :)

Let's briefly recap these past six months shall we?... [smile]

There's probably not a whole lot of detail I can put forth in regards to my last few months of college (at Wisconsin Lutheran College in Milwaukee, WI) ... before graduation that is. Most of my time was take up just concluding things so I actually 'could' graduate. The biggest project was my Senior Art Show. I pulled a few long hours setting up for that, but, in the end, everything turned out well, and the show opened without a hitch.

Finally, by the end of May 2002, classes came to an end, for me, and preparations and rehearsals for graduation itself rolled around. A few days later I found myself in the typical black robe and tasseled hat accepting my diploma and shaking the hand of the college president. ... My how time flies. Four years, and now I'm down to this. ... I was no longer a college student. I was a professional in my field -- a college grad!

With graduation comes the time a grad moves off campus for good. No longer was I residing in campus housing/apartments as I had for the past four years. Now I had to find my own place, my own job,... my own life.

It just so happened, that I was good friends with my sister Rachel's boyfriend, Noah. Things worked out, and he and I found ourselves a nice apartment here in Milwaukee, WI, not far from campus. (Rachel had one more year of college to go, herself, so sticking around was a good idea for Noah... lol). Splitting the rent and apartment-related bills is also a nice blessing for a college grad just starting out on his own. Noah, on the other hand, had already attended a tech school and possessed an Associate Degree in auto repair. I graduated from my liberal arts 4-year college with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Art, and a passion for acting. Noah is the mechanical guy... I'm the creative on.... Nice combination huh?....[lol]

Well, the artist me, was moved in now, and looking for a job. I didn't take into account though the fact that this was the year after 9-11 and the American economy was a little on the low side. In other words, finding a job was a real challenge, despite my efforts constantly sending out my art resume and filling out applications at other places. I won't go into the frustrating details now, but needless-to-say, I could not find a job, and hense, was unemployed and looking, for nearly two months. Trust me, that can be VERY frustrating.

Well, by early August, I found a lead that impressed me, and that I was qualified for. I interviewed, and was hired on at a local Office Max, in the Copy Max section. My job: process phontocopying and printing jobs for clients in the store's customer desktop publishing department (much like a Kinkos). It was work I was more than qualified for, but slightly mundane work at that. I suppose the upside, was that it provided me a necessary paycheck.

I ended up working there for almost two weeks, before a major kink as thrown into the mix.... Finally, all my hard work sending out resumes and applications earlier in the summer started to pay off, and I was presented with interview requests. Sadly I had to turn most of them down. ... One request, however, would take me down a different path in terms of my current employment....

A local Barnes and Noble asked for an interview. 'Cool,' I thought... I could do this job. So, I accepted, and what-do-ya-know, both interviews went exceptionally well. I was hired on the spot, and now work as a bookseller in the very exciting world of Barnes and Noble (ok, ok, that's just my opinion... I guess, though, it sure does beat making photocopies for people all day!... lol...). As of right now, I'm a newby there, but learning, and I think I can really enjoy my stay there.... at least until my intended career takes me elsewhere.

Intended career, you may ask? Yes.... My goal is to be a professional actor. I'm sure you've already read that though. The kicker is though, I don't want to get into that field becasue it pays millions.... No, I want to be a Christian Actor. What that means, is, I am of the belief that our society needs more Christians willing to stand up for Christ in a career field normally reeking of immorality and a lack of good values. Am I the perfect person to bring that to the field, probably not, but my goal is to be the best at it that I can be, and shine as a beacon pointing to Christ. Do I want to make millions? No, not really -- just enough to get by. The key (other than being a witness for Christ) is that I want to do this becasue I enjoy it, and just want to have fun and entertain others through the hard work employing the God-given skills and talents that I have. You can call me strange if you want, but don't count me out. Motivation is a powerful ally!

So, there you have it.... The past six months in a nutshell. Sure I couldn't touch on the auditions, the movie roles, the girl I 'fancy', or the other simplicities of my life which I mused upon over on Opendiary these past six months, but I'm sure that will all pop up here on my 'blog' over time....

I've actually provided the link to my OpenDiary journal, and it'll remain active until my six-month subscription runs out on, or around, September 17, 2002. If you get the chance, you may wish to read over some of that. If anything, it's a pretty good read at least.

Thanks for reading this and stopping by JonBaas.com. Stay tuned because now, my online diary continues here!

Much love to all,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)