Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, September 10, 2002


"Monday: On the Job."


Well, Monday was day one at Barnes and Noble... Officially. I was scheduled to start at 4pm, so I actually had the morning and early afternoon to once again hang around my apartment. ....

But, eventually, I did head out to catch the bus to Mayfair. I arrived early since I was at the whim of the bus schedule, so I just walked the mall a bit and stopped in to read a few books in BAN (Barnes and Noble). At 4 pm, I grabbed the store elevator down to the basemant level where the employee lounge, administrative offices, and loading/recieving dock are located. I was briefly acclimated to a few things, and was on my way upstairs to start training. Monday I was to work at the cashwrap (cash registers) for a scheduled eight hour shift until about Midnight or so....

I actually had fun. Yeah, I know all I was doing was taking payment for the items in the store, but for some reason, I actually enjoyed it a lot. I had a few employees refer to the cashwrap position as 'hell', tedious, and long. I didn't really find any of those to be true. I was having a blast! Seriously. I'm sure it'll get annoying after a while, but as long as I rotate around the store as I've been told I'll be doing, I don't really see any major problems. That's just me though, ... you know, the guy who tries to make the best of any situation, and enjoys his station in life. Life is what you make it. If you consider what you do to be 'hell', tedious, and long and drawn out, well... then it will be. Enjoy what you've got, even if it isn't quite what you wanted.... It's still a blessing. Blessings are worth being thankful for.

I was impressed too with the calibur of people that I worked with on Monday at Barnes and Noble. They were friendly, and rather easy to get along with. I was impressed too with the collection of unique personalities present in the employees there. Whether it be the smiling, friendly, and perhaps somewhat bubbly head Cashier (whom I personally found to be a rather intruiging personality), or the witty manager on duty that shift.... or even the friendly store manager that hired me... I think I'm really going to enjoy working with those people!

Well, the store closed to the public for the day at 11pm. Since I was cashiering that day, I ended up being honored with the task of counting the cash from my drawer -- four cents short, very odd. I was eventually let off work for the day at about 11:45 pm, just in time to run all the way across the mall and catch my first of two city buses home.... I got back to my apartment at 12:37 am Tuesday morning (I know becasue I checked my watch when I entered)..... Long day!

Noah had already gone off to bed by then, so I had to keep quiet. I was hungry so I grabbed a very late dinner (hey, I hadn't had dinner yet, since I was at work... [smiles]... ). I think that hit the spot too! ... I did a little television channel surfing while I ate, and then went off to bed... Long day!... I don't work again until Thursday, starting at about the same time, which meant I was able to sleep in this morning. [smile].... [contented sigh]...

Well, that's the recap from Monday. So, until later this evening, this is Jon signing off. Have a blessed Tuesday!

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)