Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, September 16, 2002


"A movie, and.... bagpipes?"


Sunday was an interesting day, and I certainly like interesting days! ... Unfortunately, though I did go to bed when I said I would on Saturday night, I did not sleep well. Actually, I didn't really sleep much at all. So, knowing me, I decided maybe if I hopped back online I'd be able to tire out my eyes and then finally be able to go to sleep.... It eventually worked, and by early morning (a lot later than I would have liked) I finally found sleep.

Today, Sunday, I had plans to attend an initial table reading of that independant film I am in, "Bound to Come Around." Since a lot of the film is actually shot on locations on my old campus, the reading was held there. It was scheduled to start at 1:30pm. Unfortunately, though I did not see it at first, going to bed late like I was sadly relegated to doing, doomed me. I set my alarm for about noon (yeah, I know, I missed church...) I figured that would give me ample time to wake up, grab a shower, and walk to campus - a 15-20 minute walk from where I live.

Plans didn't go quite like that though. My alarm went off, I turned it off..... and went back to sleep. Bad Jon. Just by luck though (and partially due to my internal clock), I woke at 1:12pm. Not good. I quickly got ready to head out, and set my feet to the pavement. I arrived on campus by about 1:50pm.... [sighs]

I didn't miss much though, thank goodness. I joined right in and all went well. I will have to be honest, this is the first time I heard the script read myself, and honestly, my first real taste of what I had been cast in. Before this, all I knew was a synopsis, and a one line description of my character. The truth is, I really, really (did I say 'really' yet?..), really like this script. I know it's my opinion, but I do think this is going to be good movie. The writer/director's vision really impresses me. But then again, I'm just a big fan of good romantic comedies ("The Cutting Edge", "Say Anything", "Notting Hill".... etc come to mind...). I really like this one, and I'm thrilled to be able to be a part of it! I can't wait until principle filming starts in December!

While I was on campus today for this reading, I saw Hannah. Hannah is the friend who, I suppose you could say, would be the 'female lead' in the 'romantic comedy' of my own simple life. We're both good friends, but strangely our friendship sometimes feels deeper and more rooted, perhaps on a spiritual level, than your average friendship. That's just me talking though. I try not to show it much... I don't know why. I guess I'm just really uncertain when it comes to a relationship with someone like her. Every time she and I are able to take the opportunity to chat, whether in person or on the phone, it's almost like the opportunity rejuvinates me somehow. It's almost like she has a zeal for the Lord and life that's contagious, and I want to learn how to find that kind of zeal.... There's just something about her that I can't place my finger on -- something about her personality, her smile, her friendship.

... Like I say, in any given romantic-comedy film, I'm the guy who is somehow drawn to this one certain woman, but for deeper reasons than just physical beauty, but, .... he doesn't know how to show it, or if by doing so, he'd be venturing where he does not belong. Hannah's that woman. (Hmm.... sounds kind of like the plot of this film I am in... Maybe that's why I like it so much. I can almost literally put myself into the lead role of Tate.... [raises eyebrow]...)

Well anyway, getting back to my visit on campus...

I was unable to stick around and chat with Hannah. I had things I had to get back and do in and around my apartment. I felt bad jetting like that though. It's been a rather long time since I have seen her. I miss that. Ironically, though, as it turned out, I actually ended up taking a nap after returning home, and never really got to these things until now anyway.... I'm such a slacker... LOL!!!

Oh, but, my walk back from campus to my apartment was interesting. As I was nearing home, on my block, along the major street by where I live, I heard something completely unexpected.... Somewhere in one of the backyards on my block, someone was playing the bagpipes! ... No, really, I'm serious. It was a real live Milwaukeean in their backyard playing away on the bagpipes. They were pretty good too, but obviously no Scotsman Highlander as they often stopped and restarted. Obviously they were practicing. What interested me most is that the sound of a skilled babgpiper is not something you expect to hear coming from such a nice residential neighborhood, and in Milwaukee no less!

Well, intruiged, I decided to try and find the source of this harmonic music (I actually like Scottish/Celtic music). You'll never guess where it was coming from....

... I live on the same block as a small two-engine fire department... yeah, a fire station. You know how they have a front and a back garage entrance for the firetrucks to enter?... Well, a young fireman, maybe in his mid to late twenties was standing in the open back garage entrance, pumping away on the pipes! The music was echoing through the garage, and out into the neighborhood. I just happened to hear it as I walked by the front of the firestation (which was not open). That's just not something you see, or hear, everyday!... but it sure sounded great to my ears, so ain't complainin'!!! [smiles]

But alas, time has passed, and my day has now come to a close. I'll probably, by choice, be up later tonight. I took that nap earlier today though, so I'm good. Besides, I don't start work until 4pm today (Monday). I can be up by noon, after six to eight hours of sleep, and still have time before I need to catch my bus to work. Unfortuantely, I work the evening shift until close. That means, I'll get back home from a long day of work at 1am early Tuesday morning. Good thing I don't work on Tuesday! :)

I suppose, though, it's time for me to return to the odds and ends I have not gotten to yet. ... I'm such a night-owl aren't I?... lol.

Have a wonderful Monday everyone, and I'll write again probably early Tuesday morning after I am back from my long evening shift at work. Feel free to leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you.... Until then,

Your blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)