Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, September 19, 2002


"Now I'm concerned."


Wednesday again saw me experiencing a typical day. I think I should start getting a little worried about this. Thus far, typical days are a little more frequent than I would like, and so far, a 'typical day' means not doing much of note... around my apartment (day off from work) -- not good.

I didn't actually stick around the apartment on this day off though. I figured I'd better go back out to my old Office Max and make sure there were no outstanding paychecks sitting there waiting for me. There weren't. Bummer, I was sort of hoping, deep down, that there were. I could have used it right about now....

.... My trip wasn't all wasted though, as I also took the opportunity to pick up a few items from the grocery store that I needed, and take care of a few other errands in that part of town. I returned home around dinner time, and that's when the issues of concern really came up....

See, my sister, Rachel, is also interested in being an actor... professionally, as I am. Right now, she's a year behind me in her schooling, and while I am graduated and out in the world already, she's still a college senior. At this point, in terms of finances, time, and such, I, personally, think I would be taking on a little bit more than I should handle to preceed further into my acting career. I need to get settled before I take any serious leaps. I do aim to as soon as I am able, but I also know that, for a number of reasons, this is not quite the right time yet. I hope to give it a few months and then dive in as deep as I can go, pursuing what I enjoy most and want to do with my life...

But I diverge somewhat...

What concerns me, along these lines, is that my sister has gone out and gotten what she calls a 'manager' for her acting career (which, need I say, she is not able to jump into either since she is still in school and has a few other things on her palatte yet too.). Her 'manager' cost her $250! Yeah, that concerned me a bit.... See, I've always been under the impression that an agent is perhaps the best route to go to get started in terms of seeking out casting/audition opportunities. You work with them, submit your resume(s) and, if they choose to represent you, they use their resources to help you find paid acting opportunities. You do not pay them up front to do this, and they only get paid if you find work. Then they get a 10 percent cut of what you make from that job. If you are asked to pay up-front to be represented, then you can expect your being scammed somehow.

I talked with Rachel about this whole thing this evening. I guess I didn't quite understand her and we ended up talking past each other. She seems completely fine with the whole thing. But, strangely, it sounded a bit fishy to me. Sure, I'm naturely rather skeptical and cautious, but deep inside this just sounded, to me, like a really stupid idea for her to put herself into. Paying $250 to essentially be represented, and have someone do the same kind of work that a regular bonafide talent agent would do. Seems strange to me. Sure, maybe they say they offer to do more than a regular agent would do, but from the sound of it, where's the hardcore proof?... From what Rachel says, it's all mostly word of mouth.... Hmmm.

Hey, who knows, maybe this 'manager' thing Rachel got herself into is legit. I don't know. I don't think it's something I would have jumped into though, especially this early in my acting career. What adds to the uncertainty, and concern on my part is that this 'manager' (or company or whatever it is) CAME TO HER with the invitation to join. Umm, yeah, and where did they get her name from? Rachel isn't even sure. ... I don't know, I guess I'm just concerned for my sister. It just seems like way too big of a jump to take, and with so little experience and a whole heck of a lot of trust on her end.... But, who know's, maybe I'm just jealous of the 'success' she says she is finding? .... [sigh].

While I was mulling this over after we talked, my roomate, Noah, brought up certain issues of financial concern again that got me a little on edge and probably a bit worried. I still get the impression he thinks I'm a bit incompetent or lazy. He and I are so different. He's a skilled car mechanic (with a 'mechanically-inclined' personality) and only has an Associates Degree. I, on the other hand, am the artsy one in the apartment, something he seems to shy away from... and, I have a four-year Bachelor's Degree in Art, and lots of study in acting. Needless-to-say, we are a bit different in terms of what motivates us. It's just a little hard to determine exactly how he regards me at times.... And I think he has concerns of his own, but I can never get him to bring them up, especially those that might involve us both. He's usually a great apartment-mate, but I seriously wonder what goes on in that head of his sometimes.

Ah, well.... I think that's enough ranting for today. I know I have a lot on my mind lately.... I just wish this concern for my sister, and these comments from Noah didn't have to come up today. I guess I just wasn't prepared for them.

But, alas, life does throw curves. You just gotta keep swinging away and trying to hit them. For now, I'm going to bed so that I can look at tomarrow with freshly rested eyes, an open mind, and once again, my smile and 'make-the-best-of-things' attitude. ...Besides, it's back to work for me, and I want to be able to get up and tell myself to enjoy the opportunity. Afterall, life is what YOU make it, right?

Thanks for listening/reading. Have a wonderful Thursday!

-Jon


 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)