Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, November 27, 2002


"The job I love."


"It is vitally important that you know what you want to do before you go out and try to find it. In seeking a job, seek out one you will love. There are far too many people in today's work world who are grinding away at work they detest just to earn a big paycheck -- and leading lives of quiet desperation in return. Do what you love and the paycheck will follow."

- Brian D. Krueger, College Grad Job Hunter

I read this at work Tuesday, and it sort of stuck a cord with me.... I've been kind of looking at just finding a better paying job, so much so, that perhaps in moments of desperation and hopelessness, I have forgotten these words... "Do what you love, and the paycheck will follow."

It's a huge leap of faith. Afterall, how can I be assured that just going out and doing what I love will eventually offer me a good paycheck. For all I know, I'd end up broke as I wait for that suitable paycheck to come around, and in essence, no better off than I am now. Sure, I'd be doing something I love, perhaps even have a passion for, but whose to say anyone will pay me for that?

So, I got to thinking, what would I like to do? ....and who cares what anyone else says.... What do I have a passion for that I want to enjoy doing for the rest of MY life. Yeah, I know it sounds conceited the way I wrote it, but the truth is, it has to be something I can thoroughly enjoy. And the truth is, I've learned at least one thing about myself lately, with the current trials I am going through, I MUST be doing something creative to truely enjoy what I do. I guess that's just the kind of person I am -- creative, and when I am unable to be creative, I feel somewhat empty. Yeah, it's strange no doubt, but that's how it is....

.... I guess the job that would give me the greatest joy is a creative one.

So I broke that down further.... Creative.... Hmmm, what kind of creative job would give me even greater joy? I came up with the following list:

- Successful Actor -- (You saw this one coming didn't you.... lol)

- Writer -- perhaps as part of a television show or movie writing staff.... one of the idea people...

- Writer -- Something having to do with creative writing.... maybe an entertainment magazine?... or columnist in a creative of entertainment-related part of a newspaper...

- Author -- I love to think up stories and make the characters real.... especially having to do with Science Fiction.

- Artist -- Do you think there's anyone out there intersted in my drawing skills?.... Someone who would hire me to use those skills?

- Graphics Artist -- I love computers... I love to create.... I have computer art skills and training.... Oh, and I love computers... [wink].... The only thing is, there is a glut of people in this category on the market these days.

- Historical Interpretater -- Hmm, do you think I could get paid to recreate history?.... to pretend to be someone from out of the history books.... Hmmm...... Now THAT would be fun!

- Explorer -- Are there even any places left to explore?.... The exploration of history intruiges me the most, maybe I could go seek out old 'ghost towns' in Colorado.... document what I find.... Ahhhh.... That could be fun too!

I suppose there may be other things I am passionate about (and I'll keep giving it some thought), things that I could find great joy in, but the above ones are those that immediately came to mind. I suppose that means they're the ones that I'd be most passionate about, huh? Maybe all I need to do now is focus my search around those.... Maybe dig into one of those ideas and make it happen....

The challenge is how, and where?.... Hmmm....

Well, at least I feel a little better about where I can focus my efforts.... Maybe with a little prayer and increased dedication to the task, something will turn up sooner. I certainly hope so. I hate feeling as though I am in a rut. Pray for me, if you will. I'll need all the strength and confidence that I can muster up. Those job ideas above are some of the hardest to get into....

... It's not like I want to be an accountant, or a financier, or a CEO of a company, or even a business person. Those jobs can be found anywhere, but those jobs would be the death of me. I would feel stifled... crushed.... insignificant. A creative mind is a sad thing to waste!

Maybe my search does have more meaning now, well, a little more than earlier in the week anyway. ... "Never settle." Right?.... "Do what YOU love and the paycheck will follow."

I guess I just need to take a bigger leap of faith.

Until next time,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)