Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, November 03, 2002


"Lifestyles of the Rich and Foolish."


What the heck do major celebrities need the big bucks for? Do they make good and productive use of it? Usually not. It seems many of them get so diluted with the fact that they have all this money that they waste it, ... on things like, oh, say an $18,000 coat, or even worse, a $50,000 wrist watch. You know, I don't think those celebrities even know what the word stewardship even means. For them, money makes the world go round. And, as far as their lifestyles go, that seems to be a pretty speedy way around.

What's with this culture we live in? We all idolize the mega-stars of entertainment, but they aren't worth it.... Really, they aren't. Oh, I know there are a few major notable celebrities that walk the road of discretion and relative humility, but for the majority of our 'idols' they seek only two things, money, and popularity. Take those away, and guess what, they are just like any of us. At one time they were probably hard-working just like the majority of us 'common folk', who truly do work hard for our dollar, and actually earn it. Then major money entered their lives, and BOOM.... walking, talking advocates of multi-million dollar mansions for just themselves, total lack of all thriftyness, and an insatiable eagerness to go into the public eye and boast about all this, hense making themselves the focus of attention and losing all privacy....

Yay, some idiot superstar shoplifted because they didn't want to waste any of the millions of dollars that has fallen into their lap, well, good, shoplifting is a crime, you suffer the consequences just like anyone else. Another superstar is getting a divorce, so, why not publicize the nitty-gritty on some television show for a little bit more cash that they don't need. Oooh, some superstar just built a 'castle' near Hollywood somewhere.... and just for looks and boasting rights too no less.

What happened to our society, huh? We actually look up to these people and want to be like them.... Why? They're nothing more than people just like you and me who got lucky, and as a result were corrupted by power, wealth, and prestige. In the end, they're just going to end up dying just like the rest of us -- It's a fact of life. They'll just have million dollar caskets.

I know I sound bitter, but the truth is, I've about had enough of all these shows on television that provide video tours of celebrity 'cribs' (which us common folk like to call a 'house'), nitty-gritty footage of celebrities in trouble, glamour parties in which the clothing costs more than an average luxury car, and shows dedicated wholly to covering the latest gossip and exploiting what little sanctity these already foolish people posess. This is truly sad. We as a society 'worship' these idiots.

I truely admire those who are famous like this, but still possess their common sense, values, and privacy. Those are rolemodels to truly look up to. Those are the people who deserve the adulation.... Why though, must it be the foolish who get the attention. I sure as heck don't want to be like them. They may have the attention, but they are still foolish. It's not THEM as people that I dislike, it's just their foolish choice of a lifestyle.

Perhaps they could give more to charity than they keep for themselves. Hey, now there's an idea, why not actually help people with all that 'excess' money? I'm sure saving that $50,000 and NOT buying that watch would make for a very nice scholarship fund, or maybe support projects that help people who have NO money. Hmm, what a concept..... too bad they're rich and foolish.

Yeah, I ended up catching parts of some of these countless celebrity-related shows on television.... Gossip, fashion, and tears. Well, I ain't crying. I'm not even impressed. I saw a show today that featured a pop singer, who shall remain nameless, and showed off her $18,000 coat, her $50,000 wrist watch, her $1.5 million dollar RING(!), and her house that cost too much to even count in dollars. My jaw dropped. I grew up learning to be happy with what I have, to work for a better life but not step on others to get there, to follow my dreams and goals, and especially to remember that I am not the one worthy of the glory...

Excess money can't ever make me happy. I am already the happiest guy I know. Why?.... because I have friends I love and care about, I'm alive, I have a Heavenly Father walking beside me as I traverse my journey towards that heavenly home, I actually know the meaning of contentment, and I just want to pursue that which I have a passion for in life. I don't want popularity. I don't want fame. And most of all, I don't want the big bucks. I just want to do what I love and be content with that. Am I strange, oh, yeah most likely, but, I am 'richer' than any wealthy celebrity could ever be, and that makes me all the more happy!

Learn to be simple and rely on God. Afterall, HE is the source of ALL good things.

Have a blessed Sunday all, and I'll muse again shortly.

Your blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)