Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, November 26, 2002


"Monday: A 'robot' acting experience."


"Hi, how are you doing today?"
[I smile and try to remain genuinely friendly to all customers... even when they look at me like I'm the one that's putting them out. Man, you don't know how hard that is to do sometimes!]

"Fine. You?" comes the reply.
[Unless the person is clearly being rude, or not doing well.]

"I'm doing well."
[That's usually the best answer to keep the mood light. I then insert some witty comment or chat for a bit with the person here. I then gauge how receptive they are to conversation.]

[start ringing up sale depending upon method of perchase]

"Do you have our Reader's Advantage Discount Card?," I ask.
[If the customer hesitates, I hawk the card as required... Most often they are not interested...]

"You could save ten percent on your purchases?...."
[I guage their interest in the card... preferring not to have to bother each and every customer with this question. I'm lucky if they are interested, though honestly I wouldn't buy the card if I were a customer. The books are still rather pricey even with it. Besides, it costs an extra $25 to buy the right to get that ten percent discount.... A little silly if you ask me.... But then again I probably shouldn't talk to loud should I... [chuckle sarcastically]...]

"Do you need any gift receipts?", I continue, still attempting to be genuinely enthused.
[Sad how much a given it needs to be in today's society that people can return their gifts if they don't like them. No wonder I dislike working retail during the holdays. I already detest the idea of how degraded the true meaning of Christmas has become in our society. ... It's the day we celebrate CHRIST'S birth you idiots!... I'd just as soon shoot the dork who decided Christmas was all about Santa Claus and pushing the marketing envelope during Christmas. You realize, retail stores LIVE for Christmas. I'm tempted to quit work sometimes becasue I so detest the whole marketing thing. Let's just say working in a book store during the 'Major Holiday Shopping Season' is leaving a rather sour taste towards retail as a whole in my mouth!... Sad isn't it?...]

Usually the person responds to my question and I move on, finishing the sale.

"Would you like your receipt in the bag?", I ask, still following store procedure.
[Usually the customer does, but whether they want it with them or in the bag is of little consequence.]

The sale is now complete. I smile and wish them a good evening, trying not to sound like a robot.

...and then, guess what, the whole procedure starts over again, exactly the same way with the next customer waiting in line.

[HUGE SIGH]

I enjoy interacting with people, usually, but I'm begining to think retail is NOT my calling. Time to move on... as soon as I can!... The only thing that I think I'll miss when I move on to another job (assuming I can find one suitable that pays better for the time I put in... and asap too...), is my co-workers. I love my co-workers. As people, they're a real joy to know and work with. But other than them, I don't think I'll miss a whole lot else all that much to be honest.

I think the only thing that keeps me going, even remotely, is the mindset that I am merely acting -- pulling on a role... as a sales associate. As above is my dialogue.

Barnes and Noble is a temporary thing. I'll try to enjoy as much of it as I can, but with that kind of pay, those kind of hours to make what little pay even remotely close to worthwhile to support me (and honestly does not suffiently support me), and the customers who fail to see things from the shoes of the sales person trying desperately to please them despite their often impatient moods... I'm moving on as soon as I find a better offer in regards to the above three downsides to this job -- better pay for the many hours I am eager to put in, and a less customer service oriented job. I'll miss my current co-workers though. I guess you can't have everything in life though. ... [sigh]

That's my life right now. Sad isn't it.... Can you believe my dreams are forced to take a back seat to THAT!.... There's better out there. I just know it.

Well, time to make a few calls and prepare for the above dialogue for another eight hours this afternoon and evening.... Someone, PLEASE help me! ... [sarcastic smile]... (I should be a stellar actor by now, shouldn't I?... lol...)

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)