Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, November 11, 2002


"Sunday: A new schedule to things."


The store meeting yesterday, Sunday, wasn't half bad. Everyone was there, though some were still tired and sleepy. It was an early hour for a meeting afterall, and on a weekend too no less, but I think it went well.

The main theme of the meeting was of course preparing everyone for the Holiday season, which, typically, is a major selling time for retail stores. There were the typical new policies, procedures, tips, and encouragement from the management to us, but it tended to stay rather light-hearted overall. I think part of that is thanks to our new witty store assistant manager. He transferred down from a store in New York, so he's also got a great accent.... You know, one of those thick 'New Yawk' accents. He tries to adapt it to sound Midwestern, but sometimes lets down his guard. It's rather humorous actually, especially when combined with his wit. [chuckle]....

But, anyway, the meeting concluded and I returned home. My new work schedule has now gone into effect. I now have my weekends off, so Sunday was the first of such days that I was not scheduled to work. I think I'll like this better, but we'll see how it all works out.

I spent the day hanging around my apartment. Due to that meeting I was unable to make it to church, but now that I don't have to worry about work on Sunday's, I'm looking forward to a more static level of church attendance.... and thankfully this kind of meeting is only an once annual sort of thing.

Other than that meeting though, there really wasn't a whole lot more that went on today. Noah had the Packer Game on, so I watched a little of that, ...and was happy to see them blow out the Detriot Lions. Chalk up another win to the home team!!

I did catch an interesting television program later in the evening while I was enjoying dinner too. I don't recall what it was called, but it was one of those PBS shows -- their version of a reality show -- though more of an experiment than a reality show. The premise was that three modern-day families were sent out into the Montana Wilderness and had to live completely like 1880's 'pioneers' for something like six or eight months. It was an interesting comparison to put modern-day Americans completely into the setting of 1880 Americans. They had to build thier own cabins, live in them, tend the land, and contend with the wild, all the while with none of the modern conveniences that we take for granted. The only modern conveniences where that each family had a small video camera to use as a video journal of sorts... (and I'm sure there was a video crew occasionally documenting what went on as well)...

I was watching that and thinking, 'that would be cool.' I would have liked to be part of that experiment -- period clothing, growing and hunting the food, living in a 'dirt-floor cabin', and just living the pioneer life as authentically as possible. Maybe I have my background as a historical reenactor to thank for this interest, but it would be intruiging to get back to a simpler way of living like that.... a time before our dependance on computers, before we became such slaves to the clock and rushing around everywhere, and before we became locked into everything else that we take for granted. Yeah, I might have enjoyed that experiment. :)

I ended up wrapping up a few other projects, and then went to bed.... probably around 4am. It's now Monday, about 1:30pm. I have to catch a bus into work a little after 3pm. I work from 4-midnight or so, so I'll be getting back after midnight, but that's normal. I pull such odd hours anyway -- that's my job right now.

On the job front, I have not found anything new yet. I'm still looking and sending out resumes. I have a possible second source of income, but I won't find out about that until probably sometime next week. Until then, and probably even after, I keep looking. My goal is to find either a new, better paying first job and turn my Barnes and Noble job finally into the second job that it was originally hoped to be, or find something very suitable to serve as my ONLY job, and unfortunately, cut loose B&N. Hey, I gotta pay the bills somehow right? Even if I love B&N, it's really not wise to remain in a situation where staying afloat is less and less likely. I'll have to see what happens in the next week. Maybe I'll find something promising, you never know.

But, that's the near future. Time will tell I suppose. Now, is the present though, and the present dictates that I wrap up this post and prepare for another eight hour shift at B&N. [grins]

Have a blessed Monday everyone, and I'll catch you a little bit later. Drop me a note. I'd love to hear from you!

Your blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)