Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, December 04, 2002


"Catch-up: PART I ... Thanksgiving Day."


Well, Thanksgiving day was a welcome change to the day to day of the past few weeks or so. I was presented with the opportunity to travel about an hour and a half or so deeper into the heart of Wisconsin countryside to spend Thanksgiving with family at my Aunt and Uncle's House. My Uncle, is a WELS Lutheran pastor serving dual parishes. In other words, he preaches at two Lutheran churches every Sunday. His main, larger church, is the one who's parsonage he lives in (and is in a small town), and the other church is a small (very small) congregation in the middle of the countryside, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It was this parsonage we would be sharing Thanksgiving in, and this small country church that my uncle would be preaching at for Thanksgiving service.

As it just so happened, and perhaps has become tradition the past few years, as much of my extended family as was able, all came to this uncle's house for Thanksgiving. This included my own immediate family, coming all the way down from Minneapolis, MN. My sister, Rebecca, currently a 'sophomore' at VMI (Virginia Military Institute), and one of the few women in attendance at that US Military school, also traveled halfway across the country to share in Thanksgiving dinner. ... And then, of course, there was my sister, Rachel, a senior at my old college here in Milwaukee, and then myself, a graduate from there and also obviously still living in Milwaukee. She and I got a ride from family on my uncle's side of the family.... (my aunt is my mothers sister...).

So, all guests aside, it was a pretty big gathering, considering that I am the eldest of six siblings in my family, and there were at least the same amount of cousins in my aunt and uncle's household. It was nice to get to see Rebecca again too. With her off training in a military officer training school, seeing her is seldom.... I was also grateful for the opportunity to see my parents and the rest of my siblings as well. Unfortunately, I rarely am afforded the chance to get back up to Minneapolis anymore. I'm hoping I can though for Christmas, but there I have to work that around my employment, wherever that may be by then.

I particuarly relished the opportunity to get to chat in person with my father. A lot has happened with my family in the past couple of years, and I appreciated being able to chat face to face with my father rather than just over instant messanger on the computer. As we talked, he offered me some great insight into my current dilemma's with a new job search, and so on down here in Milwaukee. I really missed chatting with him. Back when I still lived at home (in Minneapolis) we talked often, especially since I am from a very close-knit family. But now that I live down here 300 miles across the state of Wisconsin, such opportunties are rare. ... He actually provided me with a lot to think about though, and new ideas to persue as I muddle through certain things in my end of the world.... For that, I am very thankful that I was indeed able to get together over Thanksgiving. Afterall, isn't family what this holiday is all about? ... [smile]

He also gave me a new book to read through while I was there,.... "What Color is Your Parachute?". I've been able to read it some these following days, and I'm finding it to be of immense help as I seek to get into a suitable career to support myself. If you're looking to get into a new career, or, are like myself, a recent college grad seeking to follow his/her dreams, I recommend giving the book a read. Go through the self-assessment exercises. It'll definitely give you a lot to think about, and provide you with a new mindest that will better help you pursue what you want out of a career.

And you know, I think I've come up with a new plan to things, regarding my job search. This week/ weekend, I will be assessing my own dreams, goals, skills, and so on so I can better start to search for that job that I want. Next week, I start to follow a new course to my job search, contacting prospective companies, career professionals, and intensify my networking. I'll continue the same through the third week, and by then, who knows.... I could have a new job! We'll see. It's all a matter of dedication and a slightly different kind of open mind.

Now, I'm finding a renewed sense of eagerness to things as I am back here in Milwaukee seeking to make my goals and dreams more of a reality. No longer will I seek to employ a traditional job search. The time has come for a life-changing job search.... And time to remove some of those dreams and goals that have been forced thus far onto the back burner. ....

... And to think, all this technically stems from a wonderful, and much needed Thanksgiving visit with family. And, I almost didn't go.... In retrospect though, I'm glad I did. I really needed that diversion to the norm, or refresher if you will. It's amazing how much a little vacation from the monotony of life can lighten your spirits!....

It is my prayer that your Thanksgiving was as joyous and refreshing as mine was. But if not, have no fear, I still care. ... [smile]. I hope and pray that this month of December is a safe and warm one for you all. Afterall, this is now getting to be the heart of winter here in colder areas of the Upper Midwest USA. And all of us that live here know, with snow comes cold, ice, and frigid temperatures. Stay warm.... Keep smiling, and from me to you..... Happy Holidays (albeit, a little early.).

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)