Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, December 05, 2002


"Catch-up: PART II ... A Weekend at Scott's."


Thursday evening I returned home from Thanksgiving dinner, via the same ride earlier in the day, and headed off to bed. Friday I had to work, though as was the case for the first time on a Friday while I have worked at B&N, I had to be in an hour earlier. That meant that instead of the store opening at 9am as usual, it opened at 8am. I suppose that made sense though.... in retail, Friday was supposed to be THE biggest shopping day of the year.

What gets me though is why people need to go shopping all on THAT day?! Christmas isn't for another twenty-some days!.... plenty of time to shop at a reasonable pace, right? Apparently I'm one of a very few people who think that. On Friday B&N, and the mall the store is connected to for that matter, was literally an ant hill -- pretty close to standing room only. I could have used one of those 'cow-catcher' contraptions that old train locomotives used to have. People just standing around, looking, gazing, thinking.... while dozens of others weave in, out, and around the oblivious traffic jam caused by those 'stationary thinkers.' Nothing annoys me more than people who stop in the middle of a crowded walkway to think, talk with someone nearby, or start digging in thier shopping bags, and paying no attention to the fact that they just created another obstacle in an already crowded walkway.... Hmm... some people.... So intent on something else that they forget there's a world still moving outside themselves. Oh, well... tis the season I suppose. ... [grins wistfully]

It was interesting too to note that, ironically, B&N didn't really have any 'special sales' for this shopping day. The prices were pretty much the same as they usually always are. Maybe the throngs of shoppers didn't know that? ... [shrugs sarcastically]. ... I guess it was good business for the store anyway. Bad for my sanity, but good for the store.

Well, thankfully, 4:30pm came around, and I jetted from the store. I was glad to leave too. I'm not a huge fan of big crowds. I had plans to spend the weekend with my very good friend Scott, and his brother Adam. Adam is a 'high school' student at Luther Prep in Watertown, and pretty new to the states. See, Scott's dad is a Lutheran missionary over in Africa, and Adam had lived over there until old enough for high school, whereupon he came back to the states to study.

Well, the idea was that the three of us would head up north to where Scott currently lives. Adam and I would stay there for the weekend, and essentially, we'd just 'hang out.' And actually, that's pretty much what we did. We talked, laughed, watched the DVD's of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, and the Directors Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, traveled to the 'big' Wisconsin city to the north and bummed around doing a little 'shopping' (well, if you consider returning a defective DVD player shopping... [lol]..), and then returned to Scott's place. By Sunday evening, Scott drove Adam back to Prep, and then he and I returned the lengthy distance back south to Milwaukee where both of us kind of 'bummed' around again for a while.

I was intruiged when we stopped on my old campus, where Scott's sister Diana is a Junior this year. She's the artist type, and quite good at it too. I love her work, and am thrilled to see the process she is going through to find her style. If she keeps up at this pace, I think she'll have a very nice artistic future ahead of her.... Not to mention the fact too that she is turning out to be a very good photographer as well. Aside from the art though, she's a good friend and a wonderful personality. I'm eager to see where the Lord leads her after she graduates college. Her future is full of wonderful possibilities!

Well, after a little bit of a visit, and seeing a sample of Diana's artwork, Scott and I departed our old alma mater for the evening. He dropped me off at my apartment and hit the road again, returning to his abode to the north. That evening, I couldn't help thinking.... 'I've been blessed with some phenomenal friends. The Lord has indeed been good to me, and for these undeserved blessings I am eternally thankful. I couldn't ask for better friends!'

My busy week ended on a high note, and for that I too am thankful. A wonderful Thanksgiving spent with family, a weekend spent with three great friends.... How can I be feeling down. I can't. So, I won't. ... [grins].

Sure, it's back to the grind of work and job hunting for me, but the truth is, I'm feeling a bit rejuvinated. My soul has been warmed and my heart set on even greater sights. I think I'm more than ready to jump back into the frey, and this time, I feel more ready to take on the challenges that are looking my way! .... To God be the glory and all thanks and praise, especially at the end of this Thanksgiving week!

Until next time,
Your thankful blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)