Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, December 26, 2002


"Christmas Day, 2002"


You'd think that since I was unable to go home for Christmas, that I'd have a rather simple Christmas, without many plans at all. Truth is, not so. Customers at Barnes and Noble always seemed to get this 'I feel sorry for you look' when I answered them about my Christmas plans. In all honesty, my Christmas was a truely wonderful one, despite what others may have thought! Truely.

Granted I did have to work on Christmas Eve day, so I did miss the traditional Christmas Eve church service. I got home late, but there really wasn't much that I could do about that. I had to work that day. ... Good 'ole retail you know. [sigh]....

Christmas morning, I had plans to hop on the city bus and head down to the nearest Lutheran church (St. John's), but my friend Scott called and invited me to join him, his sister, and two cousins down at Grace Lutheran, downtown. I accepted the invitation and joined them down there for church....

Grace is perhaps the oldest WELS Lutheran church in Milwaukee, and quite honestly one of the most beautiful Lutheran churches I have ever been to. There were a lot of people there for the service, but Scott and I found our way up into the balcony.... where, I might add, there rests a beautiful pipe organ, played by a very skilled organist. I'll tell you, if I had the means to get downtown each Sunday for church, I might consider becoming a member there. Odds are, though, I'll probably make St. Johns, Tosa, my home church since it is closer. Fairview is a good small church, but a cold 23-block walk every Sunday, especially in winter.

Well, for the majority of the day following church, Scott and Diana (his sister) hung out at my apartment and we celebrated Christmas together. Their father is a WELS Lutheran missionary in Africa, so they were unable to travel home for the holiday as well. It was truely a blessing to be able to spend time with the two of them. I love them both. I couldn't ask for better friends... and they are just two of the wonderful friends I have been graciously blessed with! ... [smile]

In the evening, after a wonderful day spent talking, laughing, enjoying the special features on the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Directors Cut DVD, watching a truely odd film with a young Tom Cruise ("Legend"), and so on, we parted ways...

It happened that my parents called right about then, from up in Minnesota, so I have a wonderful chat with them too. I felt bad that I had been unable to get in touch with them earlier in the day since Scott and Diana were over, but all was well, and we chatted for some time. They had sent two Christmas gifts through the mail earlier that week, so, while we chatted, I opened a CD by Christian Contemporary singer, Rich Mullins, and the CD Soundtrack to the animated film, Spirit of the Cimarron (which I am listening to right now). They also sent a digital image through email of yet another wonderfully unexpected gift.... -- My father (and brothers?) had built, from scratch, a new computer for me -- a significant upgrade from the one I have! Wow! .... -- ...Talk about unexpected! Thank you Dad, Ben, and Joel! ....

Surprisingly, however, my day doesn't yet end there!.... No, it just so happened that after such a wonderful day, it continued to be wonderful. I was online on instant messenger, when my friends Keith and Matt (college friends) signed on and we chatted for some time. Matt lives here in Milwaukee, and Keith out in California. We had a great conversation catching up on some things and just enjoying the internet company of each other. I really love those guys -- great friends! I do wish sometimes, though, we'd all be able to get together in person. Now wouldn't that be great!.... Like the good 'ole college days. .... [chuckle]

After a great conversation, both of them signed off since by now it was late. Shortly thereafter, though, two more friends happened by online.... Mariah lives up on Minnesota. Jen lives here in Milwaukee. I have not seen either of them in quite some time, so again the conversation was a splendid opportunity. This conversation, however, had the side-splitting effects of laughter, sarcasm, and great wit. Man, I really miss those two! What a truely great way to close out a wonderfully blessed Christmas Day!

Christmas Day 2002 -- A day full of friends, family, and blessings beyond measure. Yeah, I was forced to remain at home here, but yet the Lord provided the means for a truely meaningful Holiday Celebration. I was thinking at the start of the day that this just didn't seem like Christmas Day. Yet, the Lord had other plans. By the time I went off to bed, this had become a wonderfully unexpected day of joy and friendship. I couldn't ask for a better Christmas!

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas celebration too. May God be with you and keep his angels ever at your side as the New Year approaches. Many hugs and chuckles from me,

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)