Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, December 31, 2002


"Monday and the Weekend."


Well, yesterday, Monday, it was yet another wonderful April -- er, I mean December -- day. Yep, when I went off to work, I could have gone in shortsleeves. It felt like mid April outside, sun shining down, cool breeze, and people driving by in their cars with the windows down. ... Not a common sight for this time of the year. Normally, here, in the Upper Midwest US, we have at least a foot of snow or more on the ground, ice everywhere, people wearing parkas to keep warm, and nobody in their right mind just standing around outside. Hey, I sort of like this weather, especially since I'm one of those people that has to stand around outside, waiting for a bus everyday.... [grins]

It's too bad I had to work indoors. I would have loved to go for a walk, or done something outside. But, alas, I had to work 8+ hours at Barnes and Noble. ... It was a great day at work, making the best of things, and smiling and chit-chatting with customers, so just becasue I had to be indoors, didn't make it a bad day. [chuckle].

I have noticed at work, for the upcoming weeks in January, that I am being scheduled for less and less hours each week. This has begun to disturb me. I have been getting by on around 35 hours a week on my paycheck, but during the holidays it has been less, obviously. I can understand that, but then next week and the week following that, I'm down to only twenty hours. You can see why I have been a little concerned.

Yesterday, Monday, I finally flagged down the person in charge of scheduling and brought my concern up to her. I though I had done something wrong and that warrented me getting less hours that I had been pulling, or that I have been given when I was hired five months back. As it turns out, I guess, for B&N, the fiscal year ends when January comes to a close. That means that I'll be pulling fewer hours each week until then, as they wrap up the year, decide who to keep on and so forth. Then once February comes upon us, I should be back to pulling regular hours each week. So, until then, I get a few more days off each week.... Oh, what to do with them... [sigh]

....Oh well, just don't complain and make the best of it, right? ...[smile] ... I'm sure I can find things to do during those days off... like jump back into finding another job. [grin]....

Oh, speaking of Barnes and Noble, I found out about a very intruging contest that our store is part of. For some reason, selling gift cards must be a very important element to the holiday shopping season, so much so that all the B&N stores are competing to see which one sells the most. Ironically, out of our region (this part of the Upper Midwest US), my store is pretty much neck and neck with the one in Wausau, WI. The contest has ended, but we don't know which store(s) won until this coming Monday, January 6. Here's the kicker though, ALL employees of the winning store, with the most gift cards sold, each recieve a $500 gift certificate to B&N! How cool is that! .... Needless-to-say, a lot of us are waiting with baited breath... and still others of us are wondering what we'd purchase with a $500 gift certificate. Oh, the possibilities. I wouldn't mind edging out Wausau for that! Pretty cool huh.

Well, anyway, jumping back to the catch up on the weekend (becasue this is my blog and I can do things like that.... lol), Friday was a typical full workday. Not much to say there.... just the typical 'terminally happy' mindest, as one of my co-workers likes to say about me. It was a rather busy day in the store though, mostly due to people returning gifts that they didn't like. Why people do that I have no clue. Honestly, I'm sure there are legitimate reasons here and there, but just returning a gift becasue you yourself didn't like it, is stupid. But that was Friday.

Saturday, was a pretty good day. Rachel (my sister) is staying with Noah and I since she is unable to stay in her apartment on campus over the holidays. So, she and I decided to head out to the mall (same one I work at) and take in a movie and perhaps do a little Christmas shopping, especially since Christmas for me is this coming weekend when I go home. Unfortunately, we were unable to actually go see a movie due to time constraints, but Rachel and I did do a little shopping. I rather missed going out and hanging out with my sister. We've rarely been able to do that lately. That made my Saturday all the more enjoyable, and productive too as I hate buying into the Christmas 'shopping season' hype.... although, one can't complain with having Christmas celebration after the holiday... [whispers: "I totally forgot about the deals!"]. [grin]

Sunday, well, it just a relaxing day around the apartment pretty much.... and it gave me some time to update my Star Trek Roleplaying PBeM website a little. ... 'PBeM', meaning, "play by email'. Feel free to check it out sometime! Readers are always welcome....

But, oh, my, my clock here says it's 2 pm on Tuesday, New Years Eve Day. I gotta get ready and head off to work today. The store closes at 6 pm, due to the 'holiday', and I work starting at 3 pm. Four hours isn't bad I guess.... and it looks like I'll actually be home for the evening. I certainly can't complain with that... no-siree!

Well, I hope you all have a Blessed New Year, and by all means, please lay off the alcohol. .... and don't drive home drunk!

Until the next post,

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)