Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, December 16, 2002


"Oh, to be a Cowboy...."


Saturday night I decided I wanted to watch a romantic comedy or a straight-up romantic movie. Yeah, yeah, I know I like those kinds of movies. Unfortunately, there are no DVD's or videos of such in my apartment. Noah, my roomate, is not the romantic comedy type, rather preferring war movies and Disney films. He has a lot of those. Granted, I do enjoy some of the war movies and other DVD's he has, but I wasn't in the mood for a gritty film. I wanted something lighter, less violent.

I own five Hollywood films (VHS): Life is Beautiful, Patch Adams, Hope Floats, Men in Black (the first one), and The Horse Whisperer. Thankfully, The Horse Whisperer I have not seen in quite some time.... so, I watched that one.

Basically, if you aren't familiar with that film, it's about a young girl who loses her leg in a friek accident involving a semi truck, a horse, and an icy road in winter. Following the accident this girl then becomes a bit of a recluse, while the severly injured horse, once a gentle and maginificent animal, becomes emotionally unstable and tough to handle. The girl's very-busy-with-her-career-in-New-York-City mother eventually learns about a man (played by Robert Redford), out in Wyoming, who is almost 'supernaturally' good with horses. She decides that this man can help the horse, and by helping the horse, the daughter can open up from her shell a little more and get over her own emotional scars. So, she (the mother) hauls the injured horse, and her reluctant daughter half-way across the country to see Redford's character. Then, for the rest of the movie, the plot covers the characters as they learn more about themselves, and each other, out in the majestic setting of the West.

It's a great film, and one that resides in my list of favorites, but there is one other thing about the film.... I makes me realize, whenever I watch it, how 'country' I am inside. I live in the city -- have for the past ten years of my life. But, somewhere deep inside, there is that cowboy that longs for the open spaces of the country. I don't want to be a farmer. I don't want to herd cattle. I just want to spend some time out in those open spaces. ... Strangely, I'm the kind of person that loves the simplicity of life. Everything moves so fast in the city. Everyone has to be somewhere, and they have to be there now. Out in the country, life moves slower. I grew up in the country, I know this. Somewhere, deep inside me, the country is calling.

Maybe that's why I love romantic comedies, country music, a good beat, the open spaces, pioneer history, the country envorinment, as well as the many other things that feed that cowboy deep inside me. I've always had this theoretical plan in some part of my mind to go live in some small town out in the country for a period of time, but it's always been just a thought. I love living in the city, don't get me wrong. I guess I just miss the country too.

Maybe I'll retire to a small town, I don't know. But I do know that my career would get snuffed out in such a setting. There aren't a lot of good acting opportunities out in a small country town. Maybe someday I'll get my foot further into the acting biz. Maybe somewhere down the road, I'll get to play a role set in a small country town. Maybe then, I can bring that cowboy somewhere down deep inside of me out into the light and fuel that role.... Who knows.

For now, that cowboy stays inside and continues to influence who I am. I may long for the open spaces sometimes, but for now, I'm just a city boy, with a bit of a country mind, living in the big city pursuing big dreams.... and I'm content with that.

Life can be funny sometimes can't it.

Have a blessed day all, and an even more blessed Holiday Season.

Your blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)