Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, December 12, 2002


"Wednesday: Training Day, Mothers, and Movies, oh, my!"


Well, it's Thursday afternoon already. I'm not sure if the week is flying by fast, or if it's going by at a slow pace and I'm just sitting here in anticipation of the weekend (Star Trek: Nemesis opens on Friday, remember.... lol).

I'm listening to my Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring CD soundtrack (I think one, if not THE favorite soundtrack of mine). It makes great background noise, though I do have it up a little loud at the moment.... [chuckle].... I think I was kind of inspired to listen to it today though. Last night at work, as the store was nearing closing, and as we were straightening up the shelves after closing, the soundtrack for The Two Towers was piped throughout the store. Great stuff! You know, I may even have to pick up that CD too sometime soon. ... And I am very excited to see The Two Towers in the theatre shortly after it opens -- Almost can't wait! This is such an excellent month for new films!

But alas, now that I have my excitement out of the way, on to calmer things. ... [chuckle].

Work yesterday was interesting. I actually was 'training' a new employee, Ryan. He was on the register next to me in the children's section, and if I recall correctly, this was his second day on the job. He seems to learn the ropes rather rapidly. I will have to say though, he wasn't much of a talker -- very quiet actually. But, then I think back to my first couple days on the job there and I can see why... New place, new people, and he's obviously still a little unfamilar with things. Makes sense. Odds are too, the fact that I am older than he is, and know what I'm doing probably intimidated him a little... I hope, though, that I'm not THAT intimidating of a person?... [smile].... I doub't it. I'm pretty much a softy at heart. Ryan will fit in easily though, just give him a week or two and he'll open up more -- just like I did.

You know, I've noticed something working up in the children's section. Customers are much more UNFRIENDLY up there than anywhere else in the store. There always seem to be overly annoyed or frighteningly forceful mothers coming through my register. They seem as though they are trying to prove that once a friendly young woman becomes a mother, she becomes a bit of a demanding, forboding force in the universe. Very strange. I do understand parenthood comes with a whole new level of responsibility, but does that have to be at the total loss of patience and an honest smile? Apparently with some people this is so.

It's kind of sad if you ask me. I know it's a challenge to remain patient when you have a little one (or a few little ones) running around while you're trying to do something else. But, I'm a little apprehensive when it comes to some of these mothers. They let their children get away with some pretty 'iffy' things that I'd be shocked if I ever let my kids get away with! -- ...in the future when, and if, I ever have children that is.

I guess my perspective is a little different than most. I grew up the eldest of six siblings -- the eldest of six in a family with strong Christian morals and values. My mom would NEVER have let any of us get away with half the stuff some of these mothers at work put up with. Granted I am happy to see that these forceful, and sometimes 'spineless', mothers are only a moderate percentage of the parents I see up there at work. It is nice to talk to the mothers who have NOT lost their sense of descipline. There are those intimidating mothers, and then there are the 'friendly', more patient ones. Honestly I seem to feel more respect for the latter. I think they deserve it a bit more too.

My, my, my, I sure do notice a lot at work don't I. ... [chuckle]

Well, alas, it's almost time to prepare for my Thursday shift. Take care all, and until next time, have a wonderful Thursday!

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)