Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, December 07, 2002


"Yay! It's the weekend!"


I'm happy. My weekend has come. .... But what to do... what to do... [smiles sarcastically].

I do have some ideas. We'll see what I get to. I'm not planning on stessing out over anything. I do enough of that at work. The weekend is supposed to be two days for me -- for me to do things I actually LIKE to do!

Well, anyway, Thursday at work wasn't too bad. It was a relatively slow, yet steady day. I was scheduled as being on-call, but was called in since there was need. I'll probably start making a habit of insisting that I go in on on-call days anyway. I could use the cash and the hours. ... When I went in, I was 'assigned' to shelve a good deal of books in the children's section. I guess the store shelves were getting a little thin. I fixed that though.... [grin]. ... I guess too I must have really helped the store out, because I was getting a lot of compliments afterwards, which was nice... I was just doing what was needed though.

Friday wasn't really as enjoyable as I would have hoped though. I was, as usual for a Friday, located at the register in the Children's section. Between the screaming children, those annoying electronic 'song books", and the never-ending line of people waiting to be checked out, I was happy to finally be done for the day. Eight hours of that can really stess an employee out. Ironically, Friday reminded me so much of last Friday, the 'largest retail shopping day of the year.' I overheard the store manager mentioning that he expected almost seventy thousand dollars in sales today at our store alone. I don't doubt we came close.... but again, at the cost of the sanity of some of us employees.

Why the heck do we settle to live in such a retail-saturated society? Everything is at our fingertips. All we have to do is go bug some poor retail employee with often silly or completely idiotic questions, demanding that he/she bend to our whims. Poor employee. He/she is probably clinging desperately to his own sanity and patience, while trying hard not to let sour moods and impatient customers get the best of him. Ah, the joys of customer service.... [sigh].

... That's why I generally appreciate the elderly customers more than the young 'gotta-go-someplace-fast-and-gotta-do-it-NOW" ones. And the general opinion is that the general public looks down on the elderly.... Why? Well, they seem old-fashioned.... and curteous... and patient,.... and foolishly the general populace usually chooses to focus on other 'more pressing matters.' The elderly are wise. Society needs to take better nootice of these wise ones.

Ah, but that's enough musing for today. I am tired. It's late. My pillow is starting to call me. I'll catch you all tomarrow.... on a sweet sweet day off!... [grins].

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)