Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, January 19, 2003


"Fleeting Passion."


As I watched one of my favorite films this evening (a recent DVD purchase), "Serendipity", starring John Cusack, I came across a quote that remained with me after the film concluded. A friend tells his broken-hearted best friend, after realizing that there is more to life than just what appears on the surface, "...Did you know, the Ancient Greeks didn't write obituaries? When a man died, they asked just one question, .... did he have passion."

Truth is, that really is an excellent question to ask? Do you have passion.... We all know it, somewhere deep inside us, passion drives us, motivates us onward. But, sometimes, we really do get caught up in other things, so caught up that we don't even realize that we should be asking that question. It's easy to do. Life steals our attention and before we know it, that idea of passion just starts to disappear. We get so comfortable where we are, that we never really stop to think about what we are saying when we start talking about our goals. Sometimes it just becomes something we always say, but never act upon. By then, it's no longer passion, but rather an interesting topic.

I think, in some ways lately, I've unknowingly fallen closer to my passion(s) being just an interesting topic. I do, sincerely want to make acting a professional career of mine. I crave being creative. I want to share my dreams, goals, and artistic skills with others around me. I want to entertain and enrich the lives of others, but honestly, how hard have I tried to pursue those passions in the past few months? The answer is scary.... I've only pursued them haphazardly -- on a whim, or when I think to do so. That's no passion. What happened? When did I get so lazy?

I don't know really.... I've gotten so comfortable with the familiarity of a dead-end low-paying job that I do enjoy somewhat, that my better-paying job search has all but dwindled to an occassional half-effort task. I've gotten used to living weekly, paycheck-to-paycheck. My room is a mess. My normally neat decorating nature is somewhat weak right now. I've got at least half a dozen unfinished projects. Out of convenience, I've fallen into a routine I told myself would only be temporary; That was nearly five months ago. I still talk about my goals, but I've ended up clouding over how much they really meant to me with the convenience of procrastination and partial laziness. I've started thinking, 'oh, I can do that tomarrow. What's the rush?' I've slowed to a stand-still.

You know what, procrastination and I have never been the greatest of friends.... even in college. Oh, sure, I was usually able to wrestle it out and owe up under belated or shortened deadlines. I made do....

...But now, I've got to stop 'making do.' I've got to re-realize what those passions really mean to me. Oh, yeah, they're powerful passions, no question there. I've just gotta start clearing away the fog and re-rev up those engines of dedication and perseverence. A passion in life left unfed, becomes only a passing 'interesting topic.' That'll be a sad, sad day.

There really is no time like the present. Risk is part of the game. Seize the day. Make the best of it. Throw caution to the wind. Man, I've really gotta start using those phrases again. Fog really does roll in fast, and often when you're not paying attention.

So, I shall have to resolve this: I shall, this week, once again take serious steps to bounce outward towards my passions in life. ... I miss my friend Hannah very much; I shall get in touch with her. I want to step further into acting; I'll follow more serious leads. I absolutely need a new better-paying job.... by golly, a few 'someones' absolutely must read my resume very soon. So, I guess this week I'll be rather busy. Hey, anything is better than 'fog', 'spiderwebs', and an 'interesting topic'.

Do I have passion? Umm, yeah, I do... and this week, I'll be dusting it off again. There really IS no time like the present. Sieze the day.... and run with it!

Of course, if I'm going to run on passion this week rather than simply a monotonous routine, I'd better get some sleep, huh? ... My pillow and I are going to become good friends again. Eight hours of sleep, and I'm off to the races. Makes for a more exciting take on life doesn't it. ... [grin].

Well, I'll catch you all on the marrow. Until then,

Your happily bogging, and 'repassionized' friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)