Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, January 23, 2003


"Some people just can't dance."


Last night, Wednesday evening, I sat down and watched American Idol 2. Two emotions came to mind when I watched it....

First there was pity. Those wanna-bees who auditioned, good for them. They had the guts to go on national television and audition, judged by a panel of judges not afraid to say outright, "You are the worse singer in America." That takes a certain perseverance, and I certainly commend those auditionees for that. I do think though that perhaps Simon, one of the judges, should ease up a bit. Some of the stuff he says to these poor kids is a little borderline on downright wrong. I think there is a fine line between respect and criticism. He crossed it a few times. But, Simon aside, my respect does go out for all those that tried.... It was indeed, if anything, a experience in show-biz.

Of course, besides pity, there was also downright annoyance. Any entertainer knows, if you want to do your best at an audition, then by golly, you'd better PREPARE YOURSELF for that audition. Simply singing in the bathroom before the audition doesn't count. You have to consider your appearance, actually tape your singing and listen to how you sound to others, and do more than just sing the chicken dance song. ...[chuckle]. The somewhat funny, yet very annoying part of watching that show, is knowing that, myself being an actor, I could tell that so many of those kids had no clue how to audition.... No clue whatsoever. They just went into that audition, 'sang' a song and stood there. There's much more to an audition than that, seriously. And, honestly, that was their undoing. You gotta take something like that VERY seriously, but have fun as well, and remember, mumbling will get you cut right off the bat!

I will have to say though, watching that show is both intruiging, as well as a good look at the audition process. I've had my share of film and theatre auditions already, some fruitful, and others not, and it's a little painful to see so many other people out there that just want the fame and glamour.... Being an entertainer is work too, a lot of work, and mostly on the preparation side of things, both in research and in focus. I don't think the majority of those kids realized that.

I do wish the finalists lots of luck though. I certainly wouldn't put myself on a show like that, but then again a career as a pop singer does not show up on my list of things to do in life. But, hey, if they had a show that auditioned actors for roles, and it came to Milwaukee to audition, I might think about it. [grins sarcastically].

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)