Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, January 08, 2003


"The trip home, and a return to the norm."


Well, I'm back, both from my trip to Minneapolis for a belated Christmas, as well as online. My present computer (the old one) is still quite dead, probably from some evil and insanely bored idiot who decided that sending me one of the most devestating worm virus' would be fun. Yeah, that's right, a worm virus killed it, and, most likely fried the motherboard as well. Oh, well, life goes on, right? I am both resilient and resourceful, and though most likely did lose a lot of valuable information, my eager spirit remains. And.... it's hard to send a worm virus to destroy that!

The new computer that I recieved for Christmas is still pending. It was still in the shop while I was home, so I was unable to bring that back with me. I am eager for it's arrival, but patient for the same. Until then, I find that living within walking distance of my old college proves to be a blessing when it comes to getting online. The campus library has some of the best top-of-the-line software and hardware and, as an alumni, I am still able to make full use of the library facilities. I like that, and, when something like this happens to my home computer, suitable options still remain. Things are never really as bad as they seem when you make the effort to look on the bright side. ... [smile]

But, enough about the computer.... How about a little about my trip home?... [raises eyebrow]

This past weekend, Noah, my roomate, and I took Rachel (my sister) up to Minneapolis for a week, and while there for the night, had an informal Christmas gathering. It was a nice opportunity, however short, especially since I was unable to make it home ON Christmas. The food was nice (essentially just dinner on Saturday), as my mom whipped up a delicious roast, mashed potatoes and that sort of hearty meal.... which I've missed in terms of her cooking. The cookies, that she had made, and had given me a few of were (and are... yes mom, there are still some left!) delicious! ... Oh, and her Victorian hand-dipped chocolates.... Mmmmmm!

I also was the recipient of some wonderfully thought-out gifts. Rachel, on her recent Christian-witness trip to the Southwest USA, had brought back a wonderfully crafted blanket which she had purchased from a craftsman in Mexico. I'll tell ya, that is one warm and beautiful blanket! Kudos to the Mexican craftsman who made it! .... My mom, took all with the most cleverly creative gift though. She had taken the idea of a gift basket and did similar with dry goods and such other food-stuffs. And, since it was put together by her, it contained a lot of thought and foods that I like.... a simple, yet wonderfully thoughtful gift. I almost like to consider it, 'groceries for a week!'... that, and in the bottom of the bag, was a new cooking pot to expand my kitchen collection! Now that, was a great Christmas gift!

Sunday, we all piled in two cars and went to church at St. John's, my 'home' church. I got to see the new additions to the building, as well as share my opinions on the functionality (or lack thereof) of some of the new features to the building project. I'll refrain from sharing my opinions on such here, but the truth is, there is almost little that I miss from that congregation anymore. So much has changed, and not all for the better, despite what the Pastor may think. I live in MIlwaukee. My new home church will be here shortly.

Anyway, after a wonderful twenty-hour visit or so, Noah and I hit the road again, back the 300 miles down here to Milwaukee. Granted we were in Minneapolis only a short time, but it was enough that it finally felt like Christmas. I'm glad I was able to get up there, even if only for part of a weekend. .... [smile]

Back in town here, the new week began. Barnes and Noble has explained my not-even-20-hour-work-week as being due to "the end of the fiscal year." I'm going to hold them to that explanation. There's no way I can handle the loss of hours on a regular basis, and, if this lasts longer than the end of January, as I have been assured it shouldn't, that will be the final straw as to me willfully sticking around there. In the meantime, I work to find ways to make January a financially stable month. We'll see how that goes, especially with the considerably smaller paychecks.

Both Monday and Tuesday were typical days behind the register at work. I made the best of it, as has become my motto lately. ...Oh, and good news, or at least I think so... my Barnes and Noble DID win the gift card contest, and, as a result each employee recieves a $100 gift card to the store! (The $500 is for the top winning store in the company, which is still uncertain... but probably not my store.). I think I can find a use for $100 worth of books, CD's, DVD's, or the like that the store sells though, and, with my employee discount, that's almost close to $200! ...Can't complain there!

But anyway, excited as I am, I move on in this post.... to today, Wednesday. As my week has been shortened on B&N's end of things, today is a day off, as is Friday. Normally, I work full days both days of the week. Oh, well, I'll live. [smile] ... Make the best of it, right. [grin]

Well, take care all, and I hope your week is proving to be a blessed one like mine. Smile, and remember, life is what you make it. It may be short, but there's a heck of a lot worth doing! .... Until later....

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)