Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, February 08, 2003


"Friday's Musings."


No Gumption, or Just Plain Laziness?

Sadly, I've been lacking motivation to write much here lately. Unfortunately most of my writing passion has gone into some very creative work on my online Star Trek PBeM. By the time I come around to posting here however, my fingers are too tired, and my mind is too sleepy. Not good for my blogging....

... But that'll change. Time to get my head a little lower out of the clouds. Instead of such a focus on my Star Trek sim, I'll use this weekend to enhance my personal site some.... add some new stuff, that sort of thing. I'm still hashing out some ideas, but you might see some intruiging new content sometime these next few days. ...Besides, I do have to be creative (I think it's my nature), and these two websites I manage are my crutch in allowing me to do so. Perhaps I just need to expand a little huh?.... [smile] Maybe I'll play around in Photoshop and come up with some silly new creation.... Oooooh, now that sounds like fun!!!

The Power of a Thankyou.

Today, Friday, I was scheduled on-call, and was told I was not needed at work and thus to not come in. Typical. I've learned that's just routine in the retail business. Little does Barnes and Noble know though.... next week Thursday, I have an interview with a notable local employment agency. B&N had their chance to keep me.... they passed up the opportunity (despite my gentle reminders).... Now a better-paying termporary job awaits just around the corner.... Like I said, 'head out of the clouds!'

But, anyway, enough about that end of things....

Since the day did not require me on the job, I ran a few errands. As I was grabbing the bus back from work (I went in to pick up my paycheck) I just barely missed my transfer bus. It was crossing the intersection as my first bus was pulling up to the stop light and dropping me off. Since it was quite cold outside, my heart sank as I foresaw me standing for the next 20+ minutes at the transfer stop waiting for the next bus.

Luckily, however, the bus driver must have seen my dejected expression through the front windshield of my first bus as he passed. Thankfully, he pulled up alongside the curb just past the intersection, and waited as I ran to catch up and board. As I got on, I politely thanked him for waiting, and was startled to have him reply and show his appreciation for me just thanking him. I normally try to make a habit of greeting the driver when I board a city bus, and thank him/her when I disembark. His appreciative comment caught me a little off guard. Are people really this thankless? What seems to me to be just a common courtesy, I guess is more often than not overlooked by most people. It's sad really.

To think that, as a society, we have become so engrossed in our own things that we overlook a simple hello directed towards someone -- like this busdriver -- who is making our lives easier. That's just sad.... Very sad. No wonder we're on the brink of two possible conflicts overseas.... we're too engrossed in other motivations to care as much about the others involved. Hmmm.... bad trend. Potentially bad indeed.

Quote for the Day:

"There are two ways of spreading the light: to be the candle or the mirror that refects it."
- Edith Wharton

Well, my musing mind has slowed to a standstill.... besides, there's one other thing I want to post about, so.... I must go. But, until then,....

Have a blessed weekend all, and don't forget the power of a simple thankyou.

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)