Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, March 09, 2003


"The Art That Surrounds Me."


Well, it's early morning on Sunday as I write this,... amost 2 am to be exact. I guess I'm still up. Much is on my mind lately. ...it's been an interesting weekend so far though.

Friday I was told not to come in to work, as is usual lately. I went in anyway to pick up my much-needed weekly paycheck. Apparently this weekend, Barnes and Noble is displaying the artwork of area Milwaukee students all over the store -- an art show of sorts (Although, I was also told that it has the secondary purpose of bringing more prospective sales into the store, and frankly, I find that a little underhanded and demeaning of the artists to be honest.).... I took a look at some of the work on display while I was in there, and there seem to be some nice up-and-coming young artists here in Milwaukee. It's too bad their wonderful art display this weekend has a 'hidden agenda.'

After my business at work was completed, I decided to grab a bite to eat in the food court. It just so happened that I discovered that the 2003 Milwaukee County Zoological Society's Endangered Animals Art Competition was on display near there. I took a look at the artwork, and was impressed with some of the pieces. Apparently today was 'Art Day' at the mall... [chuckle]

I guess this year was the first year too that they were no longer accepting college art applications. It's just elementary and high school youth this year. I'm guessing the younger aged artists offer a greater degree of competition. I can live with that. Ironically, back in 1999, when I was still a sophomore in college, I entered this very same competition on the college level, and co-won first place with this graphite portrait of an endangered bald eagle! ....

...I still try to keep tabs on when the display goes up each year. Although I'll no longer be able to see any artwork displayed from the collegiate level, it's nice to see the artistic fruits of Milwaukee's younger youth. [smile]

Friday wasn't the only day of art so far this weekend though.... So was Saturday. Scott came into town for a visit, and we spend Saturday visiting with his sister Diana on campus. Now, she's a Junior this year, but the intruiging part of that is that she is an art major as I was. She and I have a lot in common. Interesting enough though, she has a major interest in photography, and while Scott and I were there, we got to see some of her work.

She actually does her own dark room developing, so she's able to add that artistic flair to her photographs. So far she's built up an amazing portfolio ranging from object/people studies, to some senior portraits, to even a set of professional actor headshots. I'll be honest, I've already gotten some recent headshots taken by another friend photographer, but considering how impressed I am with Diana's photography skills, I may have to get another batch, by her, to my collection.... She's good, very good, and good enough that I'm seriously thinking of having HER photography skills promote MY acting skills! ...[smile].

...And who says I'm not networking among people I know as I currently job search? Shame on you! ... [grin]

But, ...enough writing for now. I know you'll all miss my musings, but hey, you'll have to wait until tomarrow! I'm tired. My pillow calleth. Besides, someone can only take so much art talk, right? .... Ha! I could talk about art all day!.... ([whispers]: that's why I'm going to bed...). ... [sarcastic chuckle]

Until tomarrow,

Your happily musing friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)