Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Friday, March 07, 2003


"That which reminds us."


You know, the mind is a very powerful thing. It seems, even the simplest of stimuli can bring back a wonderful collection of memories. In fact, that's exactly what my mind ended up doing today, Thursday.

I was called off work, meaning I was not needed to go in (as is usually typical of Thursdays), so I had the day off. I ended up hanging around my apartment doing various odds and ends, most of them on the computer. Before long, I found myself going through my once again growing collection of favorite music, much of which has been acquired from various sources. Two particular songs I came across (or found, depending upon the case) brought certain emotions to the surface....

Do you remember the Pop group, Venga Boys?....

Back when I was a freshman in college (1998), I was experiencing that whole, 'wow, I really love college!' sort of thing. I loved being off on my own. I was living in the WLC dorms (then B-first floor, now the science labs), I was the little guy on campus, still building a new group of friends, rooming with Matt (and, at the time, annoyed with his girlfriend Sara, who ironically is now his wife), and generally just starting to fit into my new surroundings. ...

...But, one of the things I loved best about my freshman year was getting used to the plethora of events and opportunities the campus offered to it's students. One was the regular dances (despite the fact that I usually just sat there and watched and listened rather than danced)... For some strange reason, the then huge Venga Boys hits, "Boom Boom Boom Boom", and "The Vengabus" became personal favorites, ...and, strangely, still are today. Whenever I listen to them, I am brought back to 1998, when I was but an 18 year old college freshman, enjoying my new 'status' in life. The Venga Boys may have completely disappeared from the music charts now five years later, but strangely it's those songs that have become a memory trigger to that wonderful Freshman year.

But it wasn't only the Venga Boys music that I found triggering emotions today. I also came across the 1995, "Mr. Holland's Opus," film version of the Gershwin musical composition, "Someone To Watch Over Me."... I happened to finally find it online and so I grabbed it while I still could. It's actually the version sung by the character of Rowena Morgan (Jean Louisa Kelly). I still really don't know what it is about the song, but for some reason, that version has just became a personal favorite. Maybe it's her voice... Maybe it's the lyrics of the song, I don't know. But I will say this, as far as I'm concerned, that's one beautiful song!

There were other songs I found and listened to as well, but none with the same emotional impact as those two selections. It truely is interesting what can trigger the mind and bring you back to bygone memories. The mind is indeed a powerful thing!

When this evening came around, I decided to stick with my string of memory-inducing endeavors. I pulled out the taped-from-television copy of my previous most recent film acting experience, "In the Net". Sure I may have only been an extra in that one, but I was a very involved extra, popping up all over the place in the background. I think what I remember most about that particular film-acting experience, though, was the effort I ended up putting into my many persona's (different characters). I never got to say any lines in the script, but I got the chance to once again work in front of the camera, experience a few days on a set, and observe the many workings of a bonafide film production. That will always stick in my mind as one of my most valuable experiences in acting, no matter what may yet come my way in the future. ....

...Besides, it was kind of fun to see the finished film again, and know the little details behind the story/filming that very few others even know about! ... [happy grin].

Now, though, with a day of happy reflection behind me, I head off to bed. Tomarrow will be a new day, and who knows, maybe a few years down the road something will trigger my mind and remind me of my present station in life. You never know. Kind of an interesting thought though if you think about it. .... [grin].

Well, have a wonderful day all, and until next time,

Your happily reflecting friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)