Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, March 26, 2003


"Weekend Update: My freedoms... upheld by our troops."


Last Sunday I went to an Academy Awards Oscar Party hosted by one of the film producers for "Bound to Come Around". (For those of you new to this blog, 'Bound to Come Around' is an independant feature film being shot and produced here in Milwaukee.).... Overall, this event was an enjoyable one. I got to chat with a couple friends I had not seen in quite some time, socialized with some new ones, and got to know a few of my fellow cast members a little better. (I even met a very talented Milwaukee musician -- apparently a friend of the producer -- who has toured in the past with the country music group Brooks and Dunn! ... Pretty cool, considering my love for country music!) ...

Though a relatively informal event, it did provide a nice break from my rather busy schedule lately, and that I was game for.

One of those projects that has been keeping my schedule rather busy lately, has actually been a commissioned artwork for a client, a small company by the name of MasterVisions. They do artistic etchings on glass and mirror surfaces. I was asked to put together a piece for them that they hope to use in an upcoming promotion, as well as add to their growing line of specialized products. I actually just recently finished the piece this week and sent it off in the mail, so I'll have to keep you updated when the promotion goes into effect. I can certainly say this though, I liked the final result from my end, and I'm very eager to see my first major commissioned work go into production!

Unfortuantely, though, there is a darker note lingering behind the enjoyment these past few days have afforded me....

While I've been working on this commissioned artwork, I've had the news on -- news, as in the round the clock cable network reporting from the Coalition frontlines. I've been watching/listening to it for hours while I drew. In some ways it feels a little strange living through a war. Granted I am half a world away from the battle lines, but to know that as I go about my daily life here at home, quietly having the time to draw or socialize, over in Iraq there are some 300,000 Coalition troops risking death every day.

It feels a little odd. Perhaps it's becasue I'm only 23 years old, and unlike some of the older generations in this country, this is only the second real war I have seen my country fight in my lifetime. And even this, so far, pales in comparision to say the Vietnam War, or even WWII. It does, however, give me an even greater respect for the troops fighting this war.... especially as many of them are my age or younger. It could just as soon have been me over there.

I do pray, though, for the safe return of those troops. In my opinion, I still think we have a noble cause. However, when I put the whole conflict into perspective, and see those guys younger than me risking death, doing something I don't think I would have the strength to do myself, I certainly hope the cause turns out to be a quick one, and one with a successful conclusion. War, no matter how justified, is still war. And war claims lives.

Let's not forget that while we go about our daily lives, enjoying what we do, our military fights to uphold our right to live those lives, and the right for those oppressed to do likewise. I'm proud to be able to draw, share my talents, and enjoy the company of friends, but as I do those things, I remember too that it's a freedom. And, as is sometimes the case, freedoms must be upheld with stronger actions than words.

In support of freedom,

Your ever-musing and happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)