Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, April 22, 2003


"The deed is done."


You know, strangely I'm feeling pretty good this afternoon. I have officially turned in my resignation to Barnes and Noble.

Unless my Barnes and Noble store does something positively surprising (which is not likely to happen considering the management lately), my last day as an employee will be this Friday, April 25. ... And you know, I really don't feel guilty about leaving. The time has just come for me to do so. With the retail politics as they are right now, I think it really is the best course of action I could take.

I was surprised to find that many of my fellow booksellers, there at the store, support my decision. Some were curious about the letter I was reading briefly in the breakroom (my letter of resignation). A discussion started, and I found that more people are sad to see me go than I thought. That made me feel a little better about my decision. Some even thought I was quiting to move to California and dive into the Hollywood acting business right now! ... Well, yes, soon, but not quite yet. ... [chuckle].

Later on I just happened to hear of a few more collegues making preparations to move on as well. One of them, another creatively-minded individual, was hoping to leave in negative stead. He was quite upset with certain factors, and he 'ranks' higher than I in store. I can't imagine the store manager will be too happy. I guess maybe I am just the tip of an iceburg. ... [shrug]

It's further proof of one of my beliefs, "I am my own boss, even if I work for another." If the work environment is going downhill, regarding what is supposed to be the store's greatest asset, then it's time to relocate 'my business' (aka, me). I find it kind of funny actually, we're supposed to bend over backwards for the customer, and rightly so, but most of our management does not feel the same way of it's employees. Something's a little fishy, don't you think?

Oh well, since I do feel lighter, with this worry off my back now, I'm going to have a bit of fun with my last few days as a Barnes and Noble employee. Nothing disrespectful mind you.... just a heavy push towards building upon the little bit of creativity that I've been able to incorporate into my mundane job so far. Sounds like a fun way to exit the stage, if you ask me! ... [grin]

Well, I'm off to run a few more errands before 'Day -3' of work. Have a blessed Tuesday!

Your very happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)