Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, April 28, 2003


"A former employee, and some cabin R&R."


Friday was my last day working at Barnes and Noble. Ironically, it was also a good day. Business wasn't as hectic as the Friday before, nor was it a dull slow day. And, when my eight hour shift was up, I bid a fond farewell to my fellow booksellers, exhanged a few hugs and email addresses, returned my key and other 'employee objects', and left the store as an employee for the last time.

The only thing I am going to miss, is probably still the fellow booksellers I worked with (those on my level). I've had my silent questions of a 'select few' in managment (namely a certain female assistant manager), and some of the rediculous policies the store has enacted, but, hey, I was only a lowly bookseller. I guess my opinions and concerns were not as valued as I thought they would be. I doubt those managers are going to miss me much either, but that's their loss. I'm moving on to greener pastures. Onward and upward. Time to follow my dreams more closely.

My goal was to leave the store on good terms. Overall, I felt I achieved that as best I could, considering the circumstances. Now, I will only look back on my time at B&N as a learning experience -- both good and bad. And, I will hope the store gets those matters of concern cleared up before there are more disgruntled employees, like myself, following me to these greener pastures.

So, that said, thankfully, here ends a chapter in the employment history of Jon Baas.

Now that I am done working there however, I can look toward other things.... finding further job leads, pursuing the few I already have, actually working hard at pursuing what I want to do with my life, diving into my status as an increasingly busy independant freelance artist, and enjoying a little free time as I set myself up to enter these new doors in life. And you know what, right now, I couldn't be happier!

This weekend, with some of that newfound free time, I actually spent it up north at my friend Scott's family cabin, helping to do a little annual grounds maintainence. Five guys, a cabin, and some manual labor.... Basically, we filled a few holes, planted some grass, hauled dirt, that sort of thing. And, thankfully, the weather was beautiful, so the time spent sweating outdoors was well worth it.... (despite this sunburn of course... [grin]).... There's very little that can compare to a weekend like this, not to mention the chance to go canoeing, roast hotdogs, and smell of wood smoke..... Ahhhh.... now that's the life... [chuckle]

In addition to the labor, and the canoeing, our late Saturday night walk up the nearby 'mountain' (a small state park) was also enjoyable. Granted it was very dark walking up that forest road in the absense of any light (we decided to forgo the flashlight), but the view of the stars, unpolluted by the lights of the city was awe-inspiring! Very rarely, unless you live outside the city, do you get to see a star-filled night sky like that! ... and the pure silence.... even more awe-inspiring!

After a good deal of work, earlier on Saturday, we did get into the nearby 'town' and enjoy a little time time among civilization. While Scott (my friend), his younger brother Adam, and I went to see a movie, the other two guys, Scott's cousins, went looking for a nearby bar to watch the Milwaukee Bucks NBA tournament game. Excitement later prevailed when we all were informed that they won!.... The three of us movie-goers, however, decided to go see "Holes", a film based upon an award-winning childrens novel. We all enjoyed it, and when discussing it later, could see why it had been so popular. It was both a well-written book, and, in turn a very cleverly produced film. My recommendation.... Go see it. It's well worth the time and ticket.

But, now that my enjoyable weekend has come to a close, and a new weeks starts, I have much to do. I'll certainly be able to keep busy -- freelance art projects, job-searching full-time, helping a friend and his wife move to a new house today, etc. I'm actually looking forward to it. It should be a good week, and I am already embarking upon it with a light heart. And you know what, strangely, I have a calm contented feeling regarding my job search. Maybe my efforts previously are about to pay off. Or, maybe this is just foreshadowing of better things to come. [shrugs happily].

We shall see. In the meantime, however, I wish you all a blessed start to a new week. Enjoy the nice weather (at least if you're anywhere near where I live and are under the same promising weather forecast), and I'll write again shortly.

God's blessings.

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)