Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, April 12, 2003


"Job Searching: What I've learned."


Well, technically my week of paid vacation has come to a close, and I still have no new job to show for it yet. My efforts, though relatively productive, were sadly less than successful. But I guess that means I keep looking. I keep inquiring and looking to set up interviews.... With continued dedication to that task, something positive will come in time.... It has to eventually. It's just becoming a very disheartening search at this point, especially knowing that I'm back to work at Barnes and Noble on Monday. At least the vacation from the mundane (which that job certainly has become) was extremely welcome. If I do have to go back to work there for a little bit yet, at least I'm rested and prepared to fight it with a renewed vigor.

But I will have to be honest though, in my searching this week (and previously), I've learned/ realized a few things about the job search. I think I'll share them with you, in no particular order:

1.) Very few employers actually care to take the time and interview someone they don't know, especially if that someone has not been personally recommended by someone they know.

2.) Finding someone who can 'recommend' you to your potential employer is annoyingly challenging.

3.) Nearly all of my resumes I've sent out have probably gone straight into the trash, hense a wasted effort.

4.) Only a few employers are kind enough to send me a kindly worded response to my interview/ job inquiry. Though I greatly respect them for that, they usually say something to the effect that they are not able employ me, or they are not interested in meeting with me at this time.

5.) Maybe I'm not as qualified as I thought, to be seeking a graphics artist position. Either that, or there really are no available openings for someone as qualified as me.

6.) Perhaps God really is saying, "Jon, you love acting so, why aren't you looking in that direction yet? There are no openings in art for you right now because that is not the direction I want you to go."

7.) A lot of people in the business end of things appear rather grouchy and stern. Perhaps they need a vacation from the stresses of their work.

8.) Money really does make the work go 'round. It's sad, but true. If you have it, people want to help you out.... If you don't, they could care less about you.

9.) Not everyone you thought could be a possible career networking contact, actually has an interest in honestly helping you out. Usually they are less kind-hearted, and want something big in return.

10.) Persistance of heart, mind, and vision, is one extremely challenging task! But it's fun to work at.

11.) Faith is both a challenge, and yet a rewarding task. If you have no faith, you have no chance at your dreams. If you have faith, the journey will be long.... but rewarding whenever the end comes around.

12.) It's good to believe in a greater being (such as my Lutheran faith entails), because many times, it is that faith and trust in God that is the only thing that keeps you going.

13.) People say that honesty is of high importance to them, yet you always hear of the dishonest scoundrals that suceed before you.

14.) Be thankful for what you do have. Often we always look at the bad, or the failing dreams and forget that we already are blessed with a roof over our heads, food in the refrigerator, friends to support us, and just enough to just barely get by. Those are huge blessings many in this world sadly do NOT have.

15.) Keep striving towards a goal. It will happen, but not right away.

16.) Smile, no matter what happens. It uses less facial muscles, and looks better on you.

17.) Look at the bad as though it were a test to make you stronger. In actuality, it will.

18.) Stick to YOUR dreams and goals in life. Never let anyone say you are not suited for the work. Persistance pays off... eventually.

19.) Be open-minded. There are more job opportunities available to you than in just one career field.

20.) ....And lastly, be your own person. You are you. There is no one in this world just like you. YOU can offer the world a lot, just have patience and know that even though you may not think you are at that place to offer the world much, you already are as you go about your daily struggles.

So there you have it. My job search is extremely frustrating.... but now you know why I am still intentionally frustrating myself. You don't succeed by quiting, no matter what befalls you.

Stay strong in whatever life throws your way, and if you do... then I'll see you at the top.

Your happily blogging and still job-searching friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)