Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, May 20, 2003


"Graduation Weekend."


Well, my parents were here this past weekend for my younger sister Rachel's college graduation. So, now, officially, Rachel has joined me out in the real world. She seems to be a little more ambitious about it at the moment, but I suppose I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Her plan is to move straight out to Los Angeles (Hollywood) this fall, and then work at establishing herself in the acting world. Hey, if she can make it work, kudos to her! I sort of have my own private doubts that it'll go as smoothly as she likes to think, but, hey, she's following her dreams. I certainly can't argue with that!

This weekend went pretty well. My parents came into the city (down from Minnesota) on Friday, and I put them up in my little apartment for the duration of their stay. It was a little cozy with both of them, my youngest sister Lydia, Rachel (since she is already moved off campus), and myself, but it worked out well. I always love guests, especially when it turns out to be family, so it was the best of all words I suppose! Noah, my roomate, chose to stay out at his family's house in a nearby suburb, thus letting Rachel (his fiance) have his bed here, and decreasing the crowd a bit. What a nice guy. ...[wink].

Friday allowed for some wonderful chat time with my parents, while Rachel and Noah took care of other things... While Noah was out and about, Rachel had acquired a babysitting job for the two children of the star of the Forentine Opera. While the father (actor, Mark Delavan) performed the role of Rigoletto in the opera by the same name, and his wife sat in the opening night audience, Rachel watched his kids in their temporary residence. I don't know how she makes these interesting contacts, but, babysitting for the star of a renowned opera, held at Milwaukee's premier fine arts center, has gotta be a rare opportunity!

When Rachel returned home late that evening, she and I sat talking for nearly an hour, about a vast array of topics, many of a theatrical nature. I missed that. She and I used to do that a lot when we were kids and still living at home in Minnesota. Back then, we'd always get in touble for that though, since my mom has good hearing and was trying to sleep in a nearby room. ...[chuckle]... But this time, we just talked, before both heading off to bed, being careful not to wake any of my guests in the next room (much less my Mom... lol). Fun stuff!

Saturday was Graduation Day. This was the day Rachel 'walked' and got her college diploma. It brought back memories to last year when I was in her place, but, now that I already have my degree, I don't think I'd go back and do it again... Too many people; too big of a crowd for my tastes. It was the typical day though, of mingling and congratulating graduating friends on campus. The sun was shining and it was an all-around beautiful afternoon. Definitely a great day for graduation!

Today also marked a milestone in the history of my old college. Our college president, after 28 years of service in that position, is retiring. He has been the only president in the history of the college. He helped found it, and was around for the first graduating class of only about two dozen students back in the 1970's. Back then classes were held in a nearby highschool. Now, 28 years later, we have a beautiful campus of over half a dozen buildings (with a new science facility already under construction), and a student body of just over 700! Wow! Now that I would certainly call a very well-blessed academic career (not to mention his earlier educational contributions)! He will be missed around there, very much so!

Well, Saturday evening, after the graduation events on campus, while Rachel and the others were running a few errands, I got the chance to talk on the phone with Mark (the owner of Mastervisions), the guy whom I am doing this three-peice patriotic set of artwork for. We brainstormed some excellent ideas, and now I am all the more excited about the project. I think it'll be a very attractive set. It seems he really likes my work. I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to once again create artwork for others. From the sounds of it, I may perhaps even have Mark commissioning further works to me in the future. I tell you, THIS is the stuff to get excited about! I'm all about creativity, and, as an artist, nothing revs me up more than an opportunity, like this, to just plain create!

But, anyway moving on.... [grin]... (you can tell I'm excited, can't you!... lol)...

Sunday saw Rachel's graduation party. Again, God blessed us with a beautiful day, a little windy, but certainly nothing to complain about. There was perhaps a smaller turnout than expected (perhaps due a little in part to location), but many of our local relatives showed up, as well as quite a few of Rachel's friends, some even from college that I knew. ... Oh, and the food.... Mmmmm! (There was this one rhubarb desert.... [drools]. I love rhubarb!).

So, now that the weekend is over, and Rachel is now also a college graduate, summer starts. I'm still enjoying my time as a freelance artist, constantly keeping busy with the exciting task of artistic creation.... and hoping the jobs keep coming to keep me busy. Rachel prepares to live-in nanny for a well-to-do family here in the city this summer, and, my weekend visitors are safely back in Minnesota. Things are going well at the moment. I pray they continue to do so, and, I pray the same can be said of life on your end of this internet connection as well.

"Life is short. Make the best of what comes your way." That's one of my mottos lately. So far it seems to be an accurate one, although I'm back in 'optimist mode' again, so maybe I'm just biased.... [grin].

Well, have a blessed day, and I hope the weather is as lovely by you, as it seems to be by me! Smile. :)

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)