Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, June 22, 2003


"A Beautiful Heart."


Not a lot has happened since I last wrote. Actually, it's turned out to be a rather laxidasical end to the week. I've had things to do, just not the rush of earlier.

So, when I was on campus on Thursday, I checked out a few DVD's from the campus library. One of them happened to be "A Beautiful Mind", starring Russel Crowe and Jennifer Connelly. I'd never seen that film before, even after it won four Academy Awards. I've always wanted to, but never had the opportunity. So, like a number of other things lately it seems, I decided to take that opportunity, and I sat down to watch it Saturday night.

.... And, I'll be completely honest with you, I was blown away. No wonder the film won four Academy Awards! Personally, I think it deserved more than that!.... Best Actor for example. But, regardless of how many awards or nominations it earned, there is no doubt, that film has moved somewhere into my top 10 favorite of all time, and that's no joke, though where it resides, I don't yet know. My dad unofficially 'rates' movies on his personal scale by how many tears he sheds during a film. Honestly, I think I'm slowly picking up on that trait a little.

There are just some movies that touch you somewhere deep inside, for whatever reasons, though all, to a personal degree. There are also just some films that you can't explain fully in words. Where the voice cannot express, the heart and mind can.

So, I'm not going to review this film here. Rather, I am going to list a few of my favorite quotes from the film, of which there were many (another sign of a good movie -- excellent writing). Enjoy the quotes. :)

_______________________

Nash: [to Martin Hansen] I've gotten used to ignoring them and I think, as a result, they've kind of given up on me. I think that's what it's like with all our dreams and our nightmares, Martin, we've got to keep feeding them for them to stay alive.
_______________________

Nash: Classes will dull your mind.
(Me: Ha! Having had 17 years of education, I nearly agree with this quote whole-heartedly!)
_______________________

Alicia: It's called "life," John. Activities available; just add meaning.
_______________________

Alicia: How big is the universe?
Nash: Infinite.
Alicia: How do you know?
Nash: I know because all the data indicates it's infinite.
Alicia: But it hasn't been proven yet.
Nash: No.
Alicia: You haven't seen it.
Nash: No.
Alicia: How do you know for sure?
Nash: I don't, I just believe it.
Alicia: It's the same with love I guess.
________________________

Alicia: God must be a painter. Why else would we have so many colors?
_______________________

Nash: Find a truly original idea. It is the only way I will ever distinguish myself. It is the only way I will ever matter.
________________________

Charles: There's no such thing as "for sure". That's the only sure thing I do know.
________________________

Nash: I've made the most important discovery of my life. It's only in the mysterious equation of love that any logical reasons can be found. I'm only here tonight because of you. You're the only reason I am... you're all the reasons I am.
________________________

And the best quote of all:

Nash: Perhaps it is good to have a beautiful mind, but an even greater gift is to discover a beautiful heart.

Have a blessed Sunday.
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)