Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, June 05, 2003


"Friendly Rats, and Vivid Colors."


Well, it's Thursday evening already. I must say, time flies when you're having fun (and keeping busy). Still so much to do though....

I've found myself with a bit of writer's block these past couple of days in terms of this blog. I don't really know why. I guess I've just kept so occupied with other things that I've just had very little of note to write about. I think I'll try to get back into the swing of things though....

Last week, I was asked by my friend Matt and his wife, Sara, to do them a favor while they travelled this week -- I was asked to feed their rats. Now I'll be honest, though their rats are the some of the most docile animals I've ever met, I still have a bit of a reluctance to tending them. They're rats. But, I agreed, and since Matt and Sara only live a few blocks walk from where I live, I was the most likely candidate.

I was asked to stop in on the rats three days during the next week and make sure they're faring well. Today was the first day. I've never really thought of myself as a pet person beyond my appreciation for house cats, but, I'll admit, once I arrived, I started talking to these rats and they seemed a little less intimidating. I think I still have a bit of a favoritism to the cats though.... When I was growing up, if there were rats around (we mostly had outdoor cats, as I lived in the country), they were cat-food, not pets.

But, honestly, despite my strange reluctance with these two rats, I kind of like them. They're not much for conversations, but their antics are fun to sit and enjoy. They seemed a little over-exicted that I was there (they still had plenty of food so it wasn't a 'feed me' sort of excitement). They just seemed a little playful actually. My task however, was not to let them out, just feed them, so they had to settle for my conversation. When I finally did refill their food and water, they went to town snatching a few peices and then going to hide in the bottom of their cage, nibbling away at their tasty new morsels. Like I say, it was fun to watch!

...Ah, the life of a domesticated pet! ... Eat, sleep, explore, and be talked to by strange larger creatures who always seem to have a strange fascination with you! ...Dull, monotonous, but I'm sure sometimes quite amusing nonetheless. :)

After a little while, however, I finally left them to their nibbling, and went on my way. I had other things to take care of today. I'll be back in two days to check up on them again. They probably won't miss me, but it's all good. I do have to wonder what we'll talk about next time though... [sarcastic wink].
________________

After my visit with the furry ones, I decided to venture a little further away from my neighborhood. I had some errands to take care of. As it just so happened, one was picking up some new art supplies, at a nearby art store, for one of the commissioned projects I am working on. Luckily, the city bus goes right past my store of choice, so it was no problem....

...Whenever I go into that store though, I am always amused at the variety of different tools and supplies that exist for nearly any kind of visual artist.... paints, papers, frames, pencils, matte cutters, matte board, plastic wrap, erasers... etc. If I had the funds, I could go nuts in a store like that! But, I'm glad I don't. It's a good deterant.

My journey was planned however. I knew what I was looking for -- a selection of vivid colored pencils to add to my waning supply.

This artwork that I am currently working on, is one that I hope will be a very powerful piece honoring our "Hometown Heroes" -- the firefighters, police officers, and miltary troops that have chosen to give their lives and service to uphold the freedoms we in this country hold at the utmost. ....

...Essentially, in this image, three figures, representing the different genre's of America's heroes, stand among the debris of disaster, defiantly raising an American flag in front of a brilliant sunrise, that looks very reminiscent of a flag itself. It's turning out to be a very attractive piece. You'll have to stay tuned here though, becasue when it's finished, it will be offered as a color print, as well as a composition etched in framed glass. It's something to look forward to, especially since I have been hearing some good things about the project already!

So, feel free to pay attention here as the deadline for completion approaches. By the end of next week, I turn it in, and after that, it'll likely be featured in a number of different art catalog locations.... I'll also see about featuring it here on my site as well. :)

For now however, I think the time has come to publish this post, and then once again return to the living room, a nice cold beverage (water of course!) sitting next to me, a good television show/DVD on the tv, and my brand new vivid colors in hand!.... Ah, the life of an artist! Creativity, creativity, and more creativity, all with the end purpose of providing something emotional or awe-inspiring for others to enjoy. How can life get any better than that!

Well, have a blessed end of the week, and until next time,

Your happily blogging artist friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)