Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, June 02, 2003


"A Girl, a Boy, and a Computer."


Friday night I was up late. As such, I had the television on and was watching two favorite shows (Stargate SG-1, and the X-Files), as I often do. When the second show came to an end, I happened to keep watching the channel (out of a little bit of laziness actually), and a caught a very interesting movie. I guess you could say I got hooked....

This particular movie, a 1984 release, was titled "Electic Dreams". Here's a short summary as found on imbd.com (courtesy of Mathew R. Ignash):

This upbeat love story features an architect named Miles who decides to modernize his life by buying a computer. Not knowing a thing about them, he purchases the biggest most power system he can get ahold of, and wastes no time in having all sorts of accidents - dropping it, spilling wine on it, cross wiring it. All of which ends up causing something amazing to happen, the computer gains self-awareness! Using it's word processor, speakers and microphone the computer learns to communicate with Miles and they become friends as he teaches it about life. Then, when a pretty chello player moves in next door, the shy Miles and super-intelligent but inexperienced computer conspire to get her to love Miles in the best tradition of Cyrano. After the computer and the woman start to share music together, through the heating ducts, the computer falls for the woman too. Soon man and machine are battling for who has the right to date her. In the end the computer concludes that it doesn't have a chance with the woman and wishes the couple a happy life together. It arranges for it's own destruction after it requests a musical tribute to the new couple on a local radio station.

Now, I'll be honest, this film, almost twenty years old, didn't do well in the box office then, but it's a real shame. Though obviously a little dated, especially in terms of computer references, this film is actually a very attractive little love story. The acting is pretty good, especially for it's time (staring Virginia Madsen and Lenny Von Dohlen); the story is, perhaps a bit implausible, but certainly not detractively so; and the 80's music not bad at all. Ironically, there is even a small fan base out there that is pushing for this film to be released on DVD.... So, it is certainly a well-liked, but little-known film.

My recommendation, if you like love stories, and don't mind that this one is set in the 80's, rent it sometime (VHS only). You'll probably like it. Hey, afterall, I'm adding it to my favorites, so that must mean something! ... [grin].

If you're interested, I've included a few links to information about it on the web. Check it out sometime, and enjoy! Feel free to let me know what you think!

LINKS:
- Movie listing on IMDB.com.
- Listing at The 80's Movie Rewind

Have a blessed day!

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)