Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, June 08, 2003


"Hollywood, Wisconsin -- Mr. 3000"


This week, Milwaukee has been Hollywood bound again. The film, "Mr. 3000" will be filming in town through the end of July, with much of the sports-related scenes being filmed at our beautiful Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers.

"Mr. 3000", in case you may not have read elsewhere by now, is starring comedian Bernie Mac and Angela Bassett, among others. The story, follows an aging, retired, and out-of-shape ficticious Major League Baseball player for the Milwaukee Brewers (Bernie Mac), who has achieved his career dream of reaching the honored 3000 hit plateau. Years after his retirement, a statistical error is found, proving that he really only has 2,997 hits, three shy of that original plateau. To regain his self-image, and regain what was 'lost', he comes out of retirement to reaquire those three missing hits.

Well, today, Saturday, was a general casting call for extras in that film....

I was able to gather together my friend Scott, my sister Rachel, and myself and head down to Miller Park and sign up. We were unable to get there as early as we had hoped, but when we did, about an hour later, the line already wrapped around the outside outfield wall of the monolithic stadium -- that's about half mile long or so! And that's a lot of people!....

After waiting in the sun and chatting for two and a half hours as the line slowly inched forward, we finally made it up to the front, only to turn in our sign-up/ info sheets, get photos taken, and then be on our way, with the promise that if we were to be used, we'd be called. Typical Hollywood, though not a surprise. There were probably thousands of hopeful extras that signed up, and that's a heck of a lot of people to weed through!

Now I've been part of both Hollywood productions and non-Hollywood productions before, but this has been the largest casting call I've ever been part of. As I see it, they're all wonderful opportunities, so our wait was nothing to complain about. But, I think, judging by the size of the call and the amount of people that showed up, my odds of being hired are a bit less than my previous film experiences. But, hey, like I say, it was an excellent opportunity, and I've got my fingers crossed. Afterall, when you're an actor like myself, you have to live life with your fingers crossed -- permanently crossed! That's just how it is.

But, I'll keep an eye on the phone, and see what results. Who knows, maybe I'll have another opportunity to add to my belt.... and, of course, my resume! Then again, maybe not. It's all in good time. The Milwaukee filming starts the end of June.

I will be honest though, I never imagined how tiring standing under the sun like that, for two and a half hours, can be. Strangely, I'm plum tuckered out! Not to mention I have family in town this weekend. Honestly.... I'm gonna be in 'good times overload' before too long!...

Maybe I'd better head off to bed then, before I, once again, fall asleep here at my trusty keyboard. More later, on this intruiging opportunity though. For now, sweet, sweet sleep!

Catch you all on the marrow,

Your tired, but happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)