Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, August 27, 2003


"For the simple glory of it."


There are three dream film roles I have. You may think them odd upon hearing what they are, but don't kid yourself, one man's simplicity, is another man's glory.

See, if ever given the chance, I'll gladly audition for and accept speaking roles. Hey, come on, isn't that every actor's dream! But I'm simple at heart too. Sometimes there is equal honor in the smaller roles -- the background roles.... The roles most overlook. See, my work on "Mr. 3000" though extensive, was one of those smaller roles. I was but my own character, and I had a blast, contibuting greatly....

But, if given the chance, three dream film roles come to mind, be they speaking roles or not:

1.) First, I would like to play an American Civil War soldier. Yes, I've played that role in the past for about ten years of my youth as a Civil War reenactor. I was Southern. The field musician. The drummer. But I'd like to be in a film someday.... In a film as that soldier. It's history. I have a love of that period. I crave the honor of a 'death' nobly in battle. In fact, I've already 'died' in battle numerous times.... but it wasn't the dying that captivated me.... It was the honor of dying 'for my country' -- for something I 'believed in'.

It's that soldier I will someday resurrect on-screen. .... And you know what's ironic? That soldier is the closest I ever intend to get towards actually fighting for my country in real life. (There are other ways too of supporting one's country). Ironically, outside of reenacting, I'm not the modern-day soldier type. Ironic isn't it.

2.) The second character I would like to play on-screen, is that of a crewman onboard a Federation starship in a Star Trek franchise film or television series. Why? Because I love Star trek so. But why just a crewman, and not one of the higher ranking officers?.... Well, like I said, I'm the simple type. It's the service that appeals to me. And yet again, in real life, Naval service does not appeal to me. Go figure.

3.) And thirdly, on-screen, I would love to play the role of a Major League Baseball player, particularly on the Milwaukee Brewers. Why? Hey, I grew up a hardcore fan of the Brew Crew. I followed them through the hard years, and I still root for them, even when they play in last place. Someday, I plan to be one of those Brewer ball players. Perhaps when the sequal to "Mr. 3000" comes out, right! Ha, I'm there! But, you say, there's no glory in being the little guy -- the non star player. Ah, but to someone like myself there is. One man's simplicity is another man's glory.

So, why, you ask, do I mention these three dream roles? Well, the answer is simple. This evening, I again watched one of the best Civil War films there is -- "Glory" -- and I was reminded once again of the simple glory of fighting for and pursuing that which you believe in. I believe in many things, but it comes to what I love doing the most, there is one that keeps kicking me, begging for attention.... The desire to become successful as an actor, and to do so with simplicity, heart, perseverence, and a dream.

So, what does a simple Civil War soldier, a Star Trek Crewman, and a non-star baseball player have in common? A dream. A simple dream. A dream to be more, to fight for their beliefs, or just to do what they do becasue they love it so, or it gives them meaning. They are the simple ones -- the ones often overlooked. They are the ones I wish to emulate. Not the powerful and well-known leaders. No. Just the simple ones in the background driving onward and upward. They are the true heroes. They are the ones we should all want to be more like -- the ones trusted with the simple glory of it all. Quiet and unknown. Simple and persistant.

I'm going to keep at it. Someday, before I die, I will have had a chance to play those three dream roles, and I will have been those simple characters. That's my dream.... and dreams are meant to be fought for.

Good night all. I wish you a blessed Wednesday, and until the marrow,

Your happily blogging, and always dreaming, actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)