Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, August 30, 2003


"A Heart for Baseball"


I'll be honest, I'm a tried and true baseball fan -- without a doubt my favorite sport. I eagerly watch it. I've played it. I anticipate it each winter.

The truth is, I grew up loving it. Some of my favorite memories as a child were attending home games for my favorite Major League Baseball team, the Milwaukee Brewers; ....seeing Robin Yount's 3000 hit, in person; ....enjoying my many trips with my father to the old County Stadium in Milwaukee; ....recording the games in the scorecards (of which I have a large part of a bookshelf reserved for); ....playing countless games in my backyard with my two younger brothers; ....and, secretly dreaming of playing in the 'Bigs' some day. .... Hey, I even played the sport in high school!

So, I suppose it doesn't come as a surprise when I say that today, while I was enjoying some unexpected time about the city with my friend Scott, I picked up a copy of the Disney film, "The Rookie", based on the true story of pitcher Jim Morris.

I watched it late tonight. It's definitely a great movie -- one that the baseball heart inside me beat happily for. I'd been unable to see the film in the theatres, but was told by many that it would be one I particularly would enjoy. So, seeing a good deal, I added the film to my collection.... and it's going to be staying there for quite a while!

Watching it this evening though, reminded me of how great a sport baseball really is. Forget the rich guys calling the shots and turning the game into big business. Forget the million dollar contracts. Forget the politics. It's the game that I love. It's amazing how much love one can actually have for a game involving the hitting of a small tightly stitched ball with a wooden stick, and then running around the circumference of a square. .... There's strategy. There's suspense. There's a game of wits and skill. And there's luck. It's a thrill, a challenge, and, it's our American pasttime!

Long live baseball! I may not be on the road to the "Bigs" anymore, but, everyday, I make a point of bringing the "Bigs" to me in some way, and following my love with wide eyes and an eagerness reserved for only the important things in my life! I'm a baseball fan, and I'm not going anywhere!

Oh, and incidently, my Milwaukee Brewers unfortunately had their unexpected winning streak ended at ten games on Friday. Sad, yes, but a thrill the entire way. The season's not over yet. I predict we'll be seeing some more good baseball in the games to come. Lookin' forward to it! :)

Well, I'll be sleeping well tonight. Baseball on the brain is usually a pleasant experience. :)

Have a blessed weekend all, and, as usual,

Your happily musing actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)