Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, September 16, 2003


"The Old Man on Campus"


Today I visited my alma mater -- my old college. I had some library books to return.

Truth is, I feel so old when I go there now, especially since all 700-some students are back and populating the halls. All these younger students walking around, smiling, chatting of classes, papers, exams, mingling with friends, reading a book out in the sunny grassy areas.... I remember doing all that too -- all to well. Some of it I miss. Some of it I don't.

But I'm graduated. I've been out now for almost a year and a half. I guess I'm supposed to feel like an old man when I visit. I don't belong there anymore. I'm a relic. Yet, there are so many fond memories of my four years spent in residence. I may have severed all ties as a student to that fine educational facility, but as an individual, parts me still remain.

Four years of one's life spent among friends, preparing for class, commenting on the lastest class project, meeting up with friends for a late night cup of tea, rushing off after class to theatre rehearsal, and so on.... I guess some of it just sticks with you. I saw a few student friends I knew when I was there today, but only a few. I said hi, but sadly didn't know what else to say. I've been graduated too long. The gap has grown. Most everyone I knew well has graduated and moved on, as I have.

It has really been a nice feeling being out on my own though -- completely out on my own -- carving out my own life for myself. But sometimes, when the moment is at a lull, my thoughts might drift back to my days among those halls, and I envision those memories. Then I smile, and think, "those definitely are the days of our lives. Those are some of the days we will remember the most.... for the rest of our lives."

Then I open my eyes, and I suddenly I don't feel so old anymore.... Just wiser -- wiser like the rest of my friends, who perhaps often close their eyes and think the same thing. My smile remains. Memories have a way of doing that. But moreso that smile reminds me that I am still young. I have my whole life ahead of me, and, God-willing, that's a whole heck of a lot of memories yet to be made. Enough to make those treasured memories of college look like a grain of sand in a vast beach of life.

It's funny how life works. The future is always the question that plagues us. But the past is the scrapbook that reminds, and often comforts us. Yeah, God put a lot of thought into the progression of time. He certainly knew what he was doing.

Enjoy the present, take comfort in the past, and muse upon the future. Life is short, make a killer scrapbook.

Your happily musing friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)