Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, October 09, 2003


"The Invasion from Asia"


Well, I stand corrected. In yesterday's blog post I noted the presence of hundreds of ladybugs in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, I was wrong. They're not ladybugs, they're hundreds and hundreds of Asian Beetles, an insect far from native in the upper Midwest.

This is the first time I can recall experiencing this kind of invasion. I guess it's just really bad this year. I've read articles this afternoon about infestations this year throughout Minnesota, Michigan, the east coast, Ohio, etc. They're everywhere. The good thing is, they're a harmless breed to humans, and don't carry disease. They're just trying to find a warm place to spend the winter. Unfortunately, by doing so, they create an annoyance to us humans who do belong here.

The bad news is, they do bite. It's usually just a pinch, that sometimes breaks the skin, but overall it's nothing too serious. Apparently it isn't a defense mechanism.... just a flavor test. They eat vegetation, not blood. ....Of course, the other slightly discomforting news is that they stink when squished.

So, how does someone get rid of these innocent pests? Well, as I've read, pesticide works, and generally any other means of removing them from inside your house is recommended. They do remain indoors until spring -- hibertating basically. You WILL want to remove them, becasue otherwise, they will be back.

... I actually read that one woman found that spraying them with any kind of common household detergent kills them on the spot. Maybe I'll have to try that. They may be innocent, but they're still a major annoyance. More information about these Asian Beetles can be found here..... and here.

Good luck controlling the invasion. :)

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)