Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Friday, December 19, 2003


"Friday: A Little Christmas Shopping"


Today, Rachel (sister) and I went and did a little Christmas shopping. Our destination of choice? -- The premier mall in the Milwaukee area, Mayfair Mall. She had a few things she wanted to look for, and she invited me along.

Now, there's one thing I am grateful for about that mall, especially during the Christmas shopping season, and that is that I don't work there anymore. See, that's the mall where the Barnes and Noble I used to work at is located. My employment there last Christmas taught me one very important lesson -- Don't work at a mall during Christmas!

Mayfair mall was crowded -- very crowded. The parking lots were jammed full of cars, and even parking lots normally vacant were teeming with cars and people. Inside, the mall concourses were full of people of all shapes and sizes going from store to store racking up store profits. And I'll be honest, stores like the profits. No, wait, they REALLY like the Christmas profits. It disgusts me somewhat.

I won't argue, I have been known to frequent stores come Christmas as I look for a gift or two as well, but when everyone does the same thing, it's not as enjoyable. Big shopping bags with store logos emblazened boldly across them advertising that particular store;.... signs out in mall walkways enticing people to stop in THAT store and not others;.... pretty decorations and lights;..... people yammering about the deals they found (which, if they really think about it aren't really deals, just clever marketing promotions);.... and, intoxicating perfume aromas wafting out of the many bath, body, purfume, and intimate apparel stores.

Yeah, shopping in malls during Christmas is sometimes an annoying experience. Working in one is even more annoying. Perhaps even harrowing.

When I worked in Barnes and Noble, shoppers seem to enjoy showing sales people how annoying they can be, how impatient they are, and often, how irate they can get over the smallest of things. No, I'm very glad not to be spending my waking hours working in a mall over Christmas. Not my cup of tea. Trust me. I learned the hard way -- last Christmas.

But, all ranting side, today was a nice to spend with my sister. She didn't buy much, but we looked around the various mall stores, stopped in the food court for lunch, and talked. Thankfully, having her as company made the hassle of Christmas mall shopping not as trying on my patience.... and that I appreciated!

So, there are now only six more days until Christmas. Some people count down the days. Me, not so much. Maybe what I'll be counting down will be the days until I decide to return to a much less populated Mayfair Mall! .... [chuckle].

Have a good weekend all, and try not to forget that shopping is not what Christmas is about.... the celebration of the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ is! Don't forget that. .... and please, please, please be nice to mall employees!

Have a good one, and, until later,

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)