Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, December 02, 2003


"Muesday: Another Day In The Life of An Artist."


(Yes, I know I spelled the title wrong. Just go with me here.) :)

Well, I'm back at it, pulling strange hours just becasue I can. It's almost Tuesday afternoon now, and I've been working through most of the night/morning. I like the morning. It's calm, peaceful -- a little cold these days with winter upon us -- but nonetheless a great time to work on things. It's solitary. I like that.

Anyway, my sister had another commercial audition today, and though she lives up in Sheboygan now, she is still able to commute down here and pursue her own acting career. So, as it turned out, she asked me (who presentely works at home) to drive her. I guess she had been told there would be an issue with parking. I was already a bit tired by 9am, but I agreed.

When we got there -- to the agency where her audition was -- the small parking lot was indeed parked full. So, with 20 minutes to kill as I waited for her audition to conclude, I dropped her off and went to the local Barnes and Noble (NOT the one I previously worked at) to browse.

When I returned to pick Rachel up (and after driving around a bit to kill time) she had been in there for almost an hour. (Acting. It can be a busy business!). But, after she vented a little of her own frustration, and talked of the interesting fellow actors she had met, we stopped at McDonald's for breakfast (thankfully her treat) and returned to my apartment. She dropped me off and had to return to Sheboygan to the north to work (Pizza Hut).

Now, though, when I sit and take a moment to reflect on the events of the end of my 'day', maybe I should take more of a look at how my sister is living the artist life....

She, like myself, has her own struggles at the moment. But yet, despite working at a place that isn't exactly respecting her as much as they could, she's making a meager paycheck and just barely getting by, starring as Peter Pan in one of the better renowned Community Theatres in the country, and still able to make it down to Milwaukee to audition for commercial jobs! I look at her determination, and come to one conclusion -- I gotta buckle down even more in my own artist life! My own younger sister is taking on more than I am, and still finding success!

But the truth is, maybe I should use my sister as an example of the determination I need to work even more towards. If she and I can each just barely get by in our own unique lives, and yet she is living proof that unyielding hard work and determination eventually pay off, than by George there's always room for improvement in my own efforts, right?

Life is interesting. If you look only at the negatives, you see a negative future. But if you cloud the negatives and look straight at only the positives -- even if there are hills in the way -- there's no end to the possibilities! If Rachel can be living proof of that fact, than so can I.

Man, but I do love being a Baas though! We seem to have thick blood, and strong consititutions for overcoming obstacles in life. Rachel proves that equation can equal success. Now it's my turn. [grin].

For now though, time for bed. I'll catch you all sometime Wednesday. :)

Your happily blogging artistic friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)