Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, December 06, 2003


"Saturday Review of Peter Pan"


I spent the day today on the road and up around Sheboygan, Wisconsin. My sister Rachel (aka, Rachel Elizabeth) is starring as Peter Pan in the Sheboygan Community Theatre production by the same name.

Personally, though trying to remain unbiased, I think Rachel actually carried the show. .... From an acting standpoint, I don't think there was any doubt that she was perhaps one of the most talented (aka, skilled) theatrical players in the cast. She had the energy, seemed emmersed in role, and was having loads of fun. I was impressed too with her vocal abilities, sometimes even wondering where they came from. She told me afterwards that she had felt a bit off during this performance, but clearly, I think she was being a little hard on herself. She pulled off the role of Peter Pan magnificently.

What impressed me even more, was that the night before, she had reinjured her foot (an old injury) dancing about as Peter Pan onstage. As it turned out, this injury was actually a hairline stress fracture. Despite the pain however, she hid the injury so well during Saturday's performance, that I couldn't even tell her foot was wrapped. She definitely has a strong spirit and a determination that will take her far. If you get the chance, head up to Sheboygan and give her performance a watch! I guarrantee you won't regret it!

In review of the rest of the acting, though, there weren't too many other players that caught my eye. Although I appreciated the perspective of the actor playing Hook, his performance just didn't strike me as all that impressive. It was very so-so, I would say. And, to be honest, quite a bit contrived. But that's just my honest opinion. The character of Smee too struck me much the same way, though his performace came across quite a bit more flat than that of Hook. Maybe Saturday just wasn't their best performance.

If you do go up and see the show, though, keep an eye out for the crocodile. Though in full costume, it's played by a cute little 4-year-old girl, and she almost steals the scene! [sniff, sniff]. :)

In other review, the set was ok. For a community theatre production it wasn't bad, however, considering how well-off I hear the Sheboygan Theatre is (being quite renowned actually) I perhaps expected something a little more impressive. I think the painting caught my attention much more than the actual set peices though, as color was well-used. But the set peices themselves just seemed to come across as a little hastily constructed sometimes. Then again, however, I am used to seeing many many professional shows, and perhaps I was personally setting the bar a little high. But, I certainly won't complain too much. The Set Designer did did do a good job with what he had.

The lighting actually seemed to come off as rather sound in my opinion. Tinkerbell (a highly focused light beam) was convincing, and the stage lighting fit the given set. All-in-all there, nicely done.

I think what impressed me most -- other than Rachel's surprising performance -- was the theatre space. The Sheboygan Community Theatre has one heck of a wonderful theatre. Ironically, it's built as part of a local community school, although what the heck an ordinary elementary school is doing with a professional theatre space like that is way beyond me! I just wish my old college had had that space -- Now that would have been awesome!

Overall rating? Out of five stars I give the show itself three. But, that's not to say you might not enjoy certain elements more than I. This is just my honest opinion.

If you're interested in more information about the Sheboygan Community Theatre, or the show of Peter Pan, please feel free to take a look at the theatre's website.

If you go to see the show, feel free to leave your comments below!

Have a blessed day all.

Your happily blogging theatrically-minded friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)