Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, January 22, 2004


"The 28 Million Viewer Hoax"


Ok, now this I find very interesting and worthy of my musing....

On Tuesday, American Idol III showed their episode from the Atlanta talent auditions. I watched it. Reviewed it. I enjoyed it. What I didn't know was that I'd been duped by a young woman from Atlanta. In fact, she successfully convinced millions into feeling sorry for her misfortune as a 'jilted' contestant on American Idol. Yes, Kristen Powell had just successfully conned America.

Known now on some message boards as "Flashdance Girl" -- for her infamous performance of the song "Flashdance" for her audition -- Kristen was/is actually an intern for a regionally syndicated radio morning show in the Southeast US -- The MJ Morning Show. Her producer helped her plan the scenario as a push to pull the ultimate practical joke on national television. It worked.

In fact, the whole set up worked all the way through the initial auditions.... (how she got through with an obvious lack if singing talent, I still can't figure out) ....But she made it all the way until she her first round audition in front of "The Big Three" judges, Simon Powell, Randy Jackson, and Paula Adbul. That audition aired on Tuesday's Atlanta Auditions episode, and though she was cut for her lack of singing talent, she had conned them too.... Tears and everything.

Now, by chance last night I was reading through some of these message boards and I took an interest in Kristin's story. It intruiged me -- the ultimate reality stint. So, I hopped on over to the MJ Morning Show website, and read up on her efforts. I even listened in on their morning show this Thursday morning (broadcast over the internet). The really interesting thing is, besides obviously not being able to sing, she is also NOT an actress. She just put her best foot forward and walked away with the last laugh! Whatever your opinion on the situation, you have to admit, it was clever.

If you're interested, she was actually interviewed on a Wednesday morning television show. They also showed the clip of her American Idol audition as part of that. The clip, a few photos, and other information can be found on the MJ Morning Show website. It's worth a look....

Interview: Kristen Powell on American Idol III

Good or bad, you have to admit.... So far it's the con of the year -- "The 28 Million Viewer Hoax"!

Enjoy, and feel free to comment. I'd love to hear what you think. :)

Until later,

Your happily musing friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)