Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, January 24, 2004


"Attending a Television Preview"


Friday night I attended a Q&A preview for "potential new television programs".

My friend Jen had actually recieved tickets to this event, and was invited to bring a few friends. So, myself, as well as another friend, Camille, went along. We didn't really know what to expect, other than that we would presumably be sharing our initial viewer opinions. But, since it was a unique free invitation, we decided to go -- out of curiousity.

We were told someone in Hollywood was still trying to ressurrect an old television sitcom that originally starred Valarie Harper. Titled simply, "City", this series ran from January through June 1990, lasting only 13 episodes before being cancelled. Last night, we were shown the pilot, apparently to get our opinion on its resurrection, or at least some new project in mind to once again star the now 63 year old Valarie Harper.

I did actually enjoy the pilot, and got quite a few laughs out of it. But I did have to wonder why the sitcom was cancelled after only 13 episodes. It clearly had potential.... I don't know if I would really want to see a remake of the series now, though, 14 years later. The subsequent hit sitcom, "Spin City" has already aired, and it was, incidently, quite similar to the failed 1990 "City". It seems rediculous that anything similar would go over well. But, if what we were told was true, hey, Hollywood is Hollywood. I suppose they have their reasons. :)

While we were at this preview, we were also shown one other pilot for a "potential new primetime dramatic series". I'm not sure I liked it very much. It came across -- to me -- as more of a Twilight Zone kind of progam than a potential new series. Rushed, choppy, and.... already done before as a movie. But, we'll have to see what comes of it. If the series does air, or news of it being picked up crosses the internet, I guess I'll have to review it here in more detail. But, overall, I wouldn't want to see anything like it on television.

Other than being shown a number of new television commercials as well -- and filling out some rediculously mundane surveys -- I guess that pretty much sums up my own review of this strange event. I've attended professional movie previews in the past, but nothing having to do with any potential television programs. It was actually a rather amusing event, and moreso a fun opportunity to spend with friends. I may see about doing something like this again sometime. I just hope it features better material. :)

Have a blessed Saturday all, and until next time,

Your happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

UPDATE: (2-26-2005) -- This event is falsely advertised. Read more.

-Jon

 I   I 


+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)