Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, January 19, 2004


"Reality Monday"


"American Idol III -- The Search for [another] [music] Superstar"

This evening happened to be the premiere of American Idol III on Fox. I don't know how many of you are fans of the show, but, as far as my interest goes.... Let's just say that since having been introduced to the talented season II runner-up, Clay Aiken, I've decided to give this third season a try.

I haven't really paid much attention to the show since season one when Kelly Clarkson won the top honors -- and even then I only watched the first few episodes before the demands on my college class schedule pulled me away from the television. I missed the end of season one, and the all of Season II just becasue I hadn't taken the time to get into the show.

Well, tonight I sat down and watched the New York Auditions episode for season III (the first of five audition episodes taking place in New York, Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles/San Francisco, and Honolulu in that order). I've decided to do a little research too and catch some on what I missed. I figure, if I enjoyed Nashville Star so much during the course of it's first season last year, and the second season of American Idol can produce such a musician in Clay Aikens, then I can probably let myself get interested in a second talent search "reality" series.

I've never really been a fan of 'reality' series' (outside of Nashville Star, and some of the American Idol I). It'll probably stay that way, for the most part too. But, then again, a star search series -- such as these -- isn't really in the same calibur as Survivor or Joe Millionaire. That I can appreciate.

If you're interested in what I thought of the premiere of American Idol III, feel free to take a moment and read my review. I'd love to hear your comments. :)


"My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance"

Um, ok, what can I say about this reality show, other than, that's just a mean, mean, MEAN prank to pull on anyone.... But, dare I say it,.... It was rather enjoyable to watch. I don't agree with the idea of messing with marriage like this even in the slightest, but.... I, err... did watch it this evening.

Here's the gist, though, for those unfamiliar (and rightly so) with the show:

Take a single, polite, honest, down-to-earth woman (a teacher in this case), and offer her a challenge. If she can make her family believe she met a contestant on a reality show, got engaged, and will be married to him twelve days from now, she wins $500,000 for her, and $500,000 for her family. The catch, however, is that this man she met is the most mismatched, sloppy, not-the-ideal-husband kind of guy. An unromantic bumbling sort of fellow in other words.

But that's not the end of it. To make things even more interesting, she is led to believe this man is another real contestant in on the con, and also playing for money. However, in reality (and known only to us, the viewing audience), this man is not a contestant, but rather an actor hired to do everything he can to challenge her to her limits. If she breaks down and reveals the con, or does not convince her family of this false reality, she loses her shot at the prize, and the reality challenge is over.

I'll be honest, though, whoever thought of the idea, was both morally twisted.... and yet cleverly creative. I'm not really sure where I stand with this series. It's just downright morrally corrupt and a mean idea for a prank. On the other hand, though, it's very dramatic and engaging. I don't know yet how far into the series I'm going to watch. We'll have to see. Should I alter my opinion of reality shows, and actually take interest in a non-talent search show? Or should I stick to my Christian viewpoint in life and personally boycott the moral no-no this show presents? Man, it's a tough call.

Judging by how television is all about the ratings, I can probably predict the outcome though..... Suspense will be pushed to the limit, there will be a lot of the typical edge-of-your-seat "what's going to happen next" plot twists, and then, in the end, she'll just barely succeed in the con and win the one million dollars. Afterall, what fun is a television show that doesn't end how the audience would like it to? Personally, I appreciate the unexpected endings, but, somehow I get the impression the show's producers think otherwise.

Urgh. Good, bad, either way, I'm going to have to sleep on this one. Anyone care to comment?

For now, though, enough faux reality.... time for my own actual reality. Have a blessed Tuesday, and until later, stay well. :)

Your happily blogging, and always musing friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)