Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, January 17, 2004


"Sleep in, and God may teach you a humorous lesson!"


Working late into the evening, and then sleeping in isn't always the best of ideas. Ask my landlord.

See, last night (Friday) I made plans to stay up late, work on my third art project a bit more, and maybe even pop in a DVD at some point. Things went pretty much as planned, and I even got to see "Finding Nemo" for the first time (which, incidently is an excellent movie! Read my review.)! When all was said and done, I ended up finally going to bed at about 5:30 am. It was snowing lightly outside at the time.

Well, it turned out that, having not set my alarm clock, I was awakened just before 1 am this afternoon (Saturday) by a concerned phone call from my landlord's wife. (I have never met his wife, nor has she ever contacted me before. All apartment matters go through my landlord.). ... She was calling, on behalf of her husband, to ask if I planned to shovel my apartment lot or not, since I am under contract to do so. Apparently it had snowed significantly after I went to bed.

Concerned, and feeling horrible that I had been shirking in my duties, I got dressed, and went out to shovel, appologizing to my landlord in person, as he was apparently on the lot recording water meter readings. He seemed understanging and cordial. He's a nice guy, and this was an unsual situation. All seemed well, and so we parted ways.

After fourty-five minutes of shoveling the heavy wet snow, I decided to head indoors and take a breather before returning to shovel the remaining two sidewalks. I was feeling a little ill. While I was indoors, though, I got another call, this time from my landlord himself, asking if I planned to finish the lot. I explained the situation, appologized for it's incompletion, and returned to what remained. He must have been keeping an eye on me, which is odd, becasue this is probably the eighth time that I have shoveled the lot this winter -- by myself. I've already proven my reliablity.

Fourty-five minutes later the lot was shovelled and salted - twice. Feeling utterly exhausted, I came indoors, made a mug of hot apple cider, and decided to turn in for a short nap to rest my aching muscles. Unfortunately, again I did not set my alarm, and I ended up sleeping for five hours, waking a little after 8 pm.

My, what an unproductive, and, yet amusingly embarrassing day!

I slept most of it away quite unexpectedly, and, in terms of productivity, had only a very well-shovelled apartment lot to show for it. I did get to meet my landlords wife though -- sort of -- and under very odd circumstances. And at the moment, I'm very well rested! My third art project, however, is not quite finished, and, as usual, my to-do list for today has hardly been touched. Some day indeed! :)

Here's a word of advice though.... God has a sense of humor, and He's not afraid to use it -- when you least expect it. Next time it snows, I'll make sure I don't sleep in. Lesson learned. :)

Have a blessed weekend.

Your happily blogging, and always amused friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)