Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, February 01, 2004


"Another Acting Role?"


Actually yes, a second acting role may be a possibility.... depending upon what I decide in the next few hours.

Yesterday, I was approached with the offer to take on a second main role in the upcoming Alumni Theatre Production. There are three one-act shows; I've already been cast as Herb in one of them titled "Second Honeymoon". In this one -- which I've already been working on -- I play a young husband on his second honeymoon with his wife in 1950's New York.

The second one, which I've just been offered is titled "A Lovely Day", and features a pathetically polite thief, who is attempting to steal a woman's purse from a parkbench in 1930's Chicago. In the process, however, both he and the young woman teach each other a lesson in life.

Now, I'm pretty confident in the first role of Herb that I won from auditions, but I'm still torn in regards to the second. Maybe I just need to sleep on the decision.

The first play I'm too far into to have any doubts. I like it, a lot. The second, though amusing, didn't grab my attention as much. It just seemed a bit less open to character exploration, compared to the first role. The downside to taking on a second role is a tough decision, and often a lot of additional work. The upside, though, is an opportunity to perform in two different roles -- within the same showcase -- thus showing the audience a range of ability. I guess some would call that an actor's dream....

I'm not yet sure which road I'll take. Either way, I should know sometime Monday.

I do find it amusing, though, that this is the second time a director has come to me and asked me to take over a role some time after I've been cast elsewhere. The first time was for a full show in college -- and that was two weeks before opening night. Granted, that was a heck of a lot more work than this will be, but still.....

Maybe what they say about acting *is* true.... "Actors that end up being successful later in life, take every opportunity they can find early on."

Then again, maybe that's my answer right there.

We'll see. I'll sleep on it.... Until the marrow,

Your happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)