Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, February 24, 2004


"Becoming Herbert"


Today I made another excursion out to the mall, and this time, all went well. I didn't miss any busses, and I got my shopping done. I even had an hour to sit in the center of the mall and observe people as they walked by.

Now, I'll be honest, you can learn a lot by just sitting an observing how people move about and react to their environment. Some people swagger.... some walk confidently. Others swing their arms unknowningly, and still others easily project their moods and emotional state just by the way they walk. Even their natural physical center can tell you a lot about them. It's amazing really.

But, observing and knowing yourself and what you can be capable of projecting by the way you move, were what my observations were aimed at. There's more to acting then learning lines and following blocking. Becoming another character also includes movement, and though it may be subtle, it can give you one of your greatest grasps on the character you're playing.

So, that said, by the time I left to catch my bus back to my apartment, I had come up with an entire page of possibilities to experiment and play around with as I continue to become Herbert. And in the end, I found a new research technique that I actually had a lot of fun with and will probably contine to use for further roles. And, not only did the observations I came across help me, but so did the time to think and muse on the process as I watched.

Later in the day, when I arrived at rehearsal and put a few of the ideas to the test, I felt a lot stronger in the role than I had on previous rehearsal nights. Even my directors commented. There's only so much the lines and dialogue can say about the character, the actor gets to have fun and do the rest. And I'll be completely honest with you, that's the part I'm having a blast with!

So, by day's end, I found myself happy with the course of the rehearsal, and, strangely energized. It has definitely been a good day of discovery, and even more, yet another intruiging step 'becoming Herbert'.

But, alas, it's off to bed for me shortly, now that I am home again. But I'll catch you once again tomarrow with a review of Wednesday's final rehearsal, in which, as I understand, we will already have a small preview audience. Now that's something worth getting excited about!

So, until the marrow,

Your happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)