Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, February 11, 2004


"Official Second Role: 'Just Plain Me'"


Well, I have some exciting acting news for you from my desk to yours. Officially, I have been cast in a second role in the upcoming Wisconsin Lutheran College Alumni Production of "Wish You Were Here." Yes, officially. I've already started rehearsing this one.

Now -- aside from the lead of Herbert in "Second Honeymoon" -- I'll also be playing the role of an unnamed (no, I won't tell you who it is) Oscar-winning actor in 1930's Los Angeles.

However, whereas the one-act play "Second Honeymoon" will be acted and performed as per a normal stage production, my additional role in "Just Plain Me" will be in the form of a staged reading. What this means is, for technical, artistic, and experimental purposes, all the characters in "Just Plain Me" will be have scripts with them.

Don't confuse this, though, to mean "Just Plain Me" will be any less theatrical than "Second Honeymoon". No. It's a good play, and though read, will still be quite acted (including some intruiging plot twists!). Let's just say -- in layman's terms -- a staged reading breaks down one of the theatrical "walls" in a performance and makes it slightly less visual, and more imaginative. But, if you still aren't quite familiar with what I mean, .... well .... you'll just have to come to the show and see what it's all about. :)

Now, some of you may be confused, as I've noted in the past that I was being considered for a second role earlier. Well, you did hear correctly.... I was. But, let me put that confusion to rest. A few days ago that second role I was being considered for, was for the male role in the third of the three one-act plays -- "A Lovely Day". That role would have been of an unsuccessful thief in 1950's Chicago. I was NOT cast in that one.

However, today, I was informed of the role in "Just Plain Me". So, in the end, that brings me through a confusing turn of events that now has me playing two roles in this months production of "Wish You Were Here." Yes.... officially now, two roles.

Interestingly enough, though I am required to approach "Just Plain Me" as a staged reading, and thus not fully memorizing the lines, I've got some big shoes to fill with the role. It's an actual person. So, I'll be doing my research, and learning a lot about this guy. And in essense, this second role will be experimental for me as well.... First, I have not done a professional staged reading like this in.... well, I don't know how long. It should be interesting new territory for me. And second, other than a character who was a vauge semblance of Mark Twain for a college show, this character portrays a real person.

This could be interesting. Very interesting. If you get the chance, you should stop by and take in one of the three performances. If anything, it'll be a theatrically entertaining evening, and we all enjoy being entertained! How good it will be in the end.... Well, that's the experiment!

Hopefully I'll see you there. :)

For tickets and more information, visit the Wisconsin Lutheran College Fine Arts website.

Until then,

Your happily blogging, busily rehearsing friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)