Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Friday, February 20, 2004


"Wanted in Marketing; Dreaming Elsewhere"


A little over two months ago, I decided to focus my job hunting away from Sales and Marketing positions because I knew -- though it *could* have something to do with creative design -- the positive responses I had been getting were all within purely business capacities. I don't want a face-to-face business marketing job. That's not my gig. So, I ruled them out, and have not been sending out my generic business resume since.

Well, early this afternoon, I happened to get a call -- out of the blue -- from one of those 'positive marketing responses' from two months ago. It was from one of the few companies that called and had wanted to set up an interview. Back then I had politely declined. I didn't want to be traveling around Milwaukee, working on sales commission, and submitting business proposals for statistical-based clientel. Today, however, they made the same invitation, for the same reasons, and the same kind of job.

Either they must not have taken my polite "Thank you, but I must decline" answer very seriously, or my generic (and yes, very generic) business resume went into the wrong folder. .... [chuckle].

Now, granted I am in the market for another job, and traditionally, good business marketing professionals usually make some good money. I could use the steady career money. But I don't know if I can make good money doing something a have no passion for. That just isn't me. I create. I draw. I design. I conceptualize. That's where I thrive and suceed.

I have my goals and strategy to find that creative job waiting for me out there. I follow it every week (with limited success unfortunately). But, now, today, I have this nagging voice in the back of my brain saying, "Jon, you need a steady well-paying job. You just passed up one heck of an opportunity! What were you thinking?!" The rational side of my brain however, says, "Passed up opportunity? Maybe. But you said it yourself. You aren't looking for that kind of job. It's not right for you. You'll find the right one. Just keep looking."

So now I have my conscience in disagreement. I hate it when that happens.

But, I guess the good news is that right now, I am following my dreams, drawing, creating, acting.... The bad news is I'm still working at making it into a steady paying job that I can live off of. I just haven't gotten to that point yet.

But, so goes the journey towards a dream, right? Long, arduous, often drawn-out, but in hindsight, quite a journey. I guess I just keep traveling, and don't let the side trails pull me off course.

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)