Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, March 23, 2004


"The Dream Job."

This morning I awoke with an interesting story foremost in my mind. It was a dream I had last night, and it went something like this....

I had just worked hard to put together a stunning resume of my creative work. The portfolio was there... the credentials, the artwork.... everything the employer had asked for. I had left out nothing, and I was certain I would be a leading candidate for the job. It payed very well, there was no limit to my creativity, it involved both my acting and my artistic skills, and the hours were good -- it was the perfect job!

Well, the employer wanted all resumes, portfolios, references and other assessment materials dropped off in person at their company headquarters. It just so happened the location was just outside of the downtown area. I got there with ease and time to spare, dropped off my materials, thanked the employer, and left to return home.

A few days later the call came in. They were impressed with my work and wanted me to come in for an interview. When I arrived, I was greeted by an overcrowded lobby. Apparently I was not the only person whose work impressed them.

I awaited my turn to be interviewed, and after a good meeting with the hiring representative, returned to the crowded waiting room to await the final decision. An hour later, the representative came out, gave the typical "you-are-all-skilled, but-we-can-only-choose-one" speach, and then announced that they had selected ONE individual for the job -- me.

Yes, out of the entire crowded lobby, I was the only person there to get hired by the company. Respectfully, I suppressed my excitement. I watched as my fellow interviewees slowly left the building with their heads hung low, shaking them in disbelief. I felt bad. I couldn't have been the only qualified candidate in the room!?

After everyone had left, the hiring representative came up to me and congratulated me on a supurb creative portfolio, as well as high praise for my artistic and theatrical credentials. Apparently I was just the person they were looking for. The job was mine as long as I desired to stay with the company. Naturally I was appreciative of the offer.

After a few more minutes, the conversation came to a close, and they invited me to take a tour of the department I would be working in. I gladly accepted, eager to get acclimated to my new career. They pointed me towards a door and told me to go in and have a look around. They'd catch up with me again later. I smiled and happily did so.

Behind the door was the cafeteria. According to the apron-clad woman on the other side of the food counter, my job would be to ensure that the buffet table was properly stocked at all times.

Great. All that hard work and excitement over a professional creative career opportunity,.... and all the company really wanted me for was to work in the cafeteria.

I felt duped. I had been duped. And the truth is, based on my real life resume search so far, I feel the same way. No one (outside of the freelance work I've been doing) seems to want my creative skills or talents. And any job I could "settle for" is hardly a job in the first place.

Maybe I need to reassess my "job" goals at this stage in my life. I am certainly unwavering in my career goals (acting and art), but it's becoming increasingly clear to me that if no one will snatch up the creative skills, working in a "buffet job" is the next step backwards. And that's not going to support me right now. Nor will it do anything for my severely right-brained personality.

Long story short, I'm begining to wonder if employers are just toying with me.

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)