Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, March 29, 2004


"Interview: Maybe I will go it alone."

Today was indeed a sunny day. Outside the weather was bright and the temperatures warm. The day was so beautiful day in fact, that I opted not to worry about my bus transfer, and just walk the twenty blocks to my interview! The exercise was good, and the spring air refreshing. I didn't mind one bit.

My interview, however, didn't end up being as refreshing. When I recieved the call to come into the employment agency last week, I expected something a little more concrete. Afterall, this was in response to a specific graphics art opening. When I got there, the agency just wanted me to take the tests and join their client roster. I should have expected as much I suppose. They were friendly, polite, and professional, but the job prospect was a little less than promising.

I actually ended up hanging around their office for a little over two and a half hours. I took the tests they requested of me, and filled out the numerous articles of paperwork. Unfortunately, in the end, the results of my tests were only average. I highly doubt the agency is going to be any help in finding me a job. From the sounds of it, they make better money sending out the resumes of their more qualified clients. I get the impression I'm on the lower end of that list.

But, I tried, and I satisfied my curiousity. I can live with that. :)

When I returned home, I wrapped up a few more projects, and late in the evening lay down to do a little reading. My book of choice was oddly "Making a Living Without a Job" by Barbara J. Winter. For some reason, that one stuck out in my mind. It's all about finding ways to make your own passions work for you, and earn a paycheck that way. It was a good reminder to me that perhaps I am putting too much stock into trying to make a living with a concrete job, when what I should really be doing is focusing more on making a life doing what I love.

I've already read this book before -- many months ago actually. But, the events of my day today, coupled with the first few chapters of this book, got me thinking again, 'Why put my effort into finding ways to do someone elses work, and earn them the money (while I only make a laughable income)? Instead, I got the skills, I got the passion.... I just need to work even harder to make MY skills work for ME.

Writer Peter Mayle sums this idea up very nicely when he says, "I'd rather live precariously in my own office than comfortably in somebody else's." Afterall, the greater the risk, the higher the gain, right? That was drilled into me in each of my theatre classes. I just need to remember how independant-minded I really am. Perhaps it's time to put even more focus on my own office. Time to step up the risk taking, and look for even better rewards.

Yes, it's time to get back on track, and see how far I can get on my own. I'm a little intimidated by that though.... always have been. It's a tough prospect, but certainly a much more satisfying way of life.

So, I guess today was actually a sunny day -- in more ways than one. Thanks Adtec Staffing. You may have lost my business, but you reminded me how I should be finding my own.

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)